• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Craftsman wrench

L

lowbudgetjunk

$40 seems like a deal or theft. I am trying to wrap my head around when you would use this device.

4249cfe95e143a0448f032cd18df2cda.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Craftsman don't seem to be what they used to. Lots of junk and gimmicky crap IMO.
I still use their basic tools, mainly because I cant afford Snap on/Mac and wouldn't pay for em if I could, as I am not a professional who earns his living with his tools.
I have even been hassled about their warranty lately. They aren't what they used to be.

The Sears branding has been in the hole for a while now. They've closed 95% of the Kmarts around here. They started putting Craftsman in Kmart to try to help out since they weren't drawing the customers to Sears anymore. What really screwed Sears is that they didn't keep up with the trends in clothing and customers (women) stopped coming in with men that walked through the tools. They had a last ditch effort when they picked up the JCrew line, but that flopped too. They've closed every Sears department store within 50 miles of me except 1...there use to be 4 total. Now all we have is the little home town Sears store which works for me since they do carry the basic tools, but I do miss having the full selection in a store nearby.

It looks like they're trying all sorts of gimmicks just to stay afloat...and the wrench you pictured is just another example. That's a crescent wrench for a lazy SOB...I mean seriously adjust it to the proper size and roll with it.

warning...these are only my observations...no factual information can be derived from any of it.

TBItoy said:
Those clampy-cresent wrenches are real handy for plumbing fittings that you can't get a pipe wrench on, don't want to mar up, or just **** that is about rounded off.

They actually work pretty good.

I have the $15 Stanley version.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-10-Locking-Adjustable-Wrench/14146091

That's what I was racking my brain over. Best or worst idea ever I didn't know. Now at least I have a starting point and can order one at 60% savings if I ever have the need to have one.

I quit buying crapsmen several years ago when i went in to get a busted ratchet replaced and they handed me a refurbished one that broke the second time i used it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Added to my to-buy list. Also, while we are talking about wrenches, I am on the hunt for an affordable set of ratcheting wrenches. Anybody have experience with the GearWrench brand that's all over ebay?

This 32 pc set metric/sae that even includes a line of ratcheting stubbies for $99 sounds like a helluva deal if they are decent enough to hold up to moderate use, but I'm not familiar with the brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GearWrench-32pc-SAE-Metric-Ratcheting-Combination-and-Stubby-Wrench-Set-370032-/262111468429?hash=item3d070f9b8d:g:q9EAAOSwu4BVwqgL

JD,
I bought a set of gear wrench brand (sae and metric wrenches and sockets) when they first came out 6-7 years ago. I have had excellent luck with them.

jeff150 said:
JD,
I bought a set of gear wrench brand (sae and metric wrenches and sockets) when they first came out 6-7 years ago. I have had excellent luck with them.

Good news, I've had enough of dealing with non ratcheting wrenches.

Wish there were more pcs and sizes in those! The GearWrench set goes up to 17mm, and a lot of bolts on my bikes are 17mm, so I at least want that size. Really glad to have learned about that clamping adjustable wrench too!

Re:

The gear wrenches brand is great, if you due happen to pull to much on one and it binds just tap it and it will free up.

Set I have are floppy bead and they go up to 19.

I have a set of metric and SAE Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches. I like them so much that I bought a cheap set of HF ones for my trail tool kit. But I almost like the HF ones better and I'm thinking of switching them!

TacomaJD said:
Wish there were more pcs and sizes in those! The GearWrench set goes up to 17mm, and a lot of bolts on my bikes are 17mm, so I at least want that size. Really glad to have learned about that clamping adjustable wrench too!

You can find them in almost any size on eBay. I have a 7/8, 15/16, and 1" Gearwrench.

patooyee said:
You can find them in almost any size on eBay. I have a 7/8, 15/16, and 1" Gearwrench.

I will do some more searching for a better kit! Also gotta buy a 35mm socket for spindle nut on the FJ, got a blown cv boot (bought it like that).

TacomaJD said:
I will do some more searching for a better kit! Also gotta buy a 35mm socket for spindle nut on the FJ, got a blown cv boot (bought it like that).

Sorry, I was referring to individual sizes. The sets seem to be pretty standard.

Use gearwrenches daily, some of them for years. They make a double box zero offset extended length set that is the best thing since sliced bread! Goes from 10-19 mm, and they have another set from 21-26?mm that is on my wish list.

Another good thing about the Gearwrench brand ratcheting wrenches, is that almost every tool truck can and will warranty them even if you didn't buy from them. At least our Snap-On, Matco, and Cornwell guys will here.