• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Craigslist Scammers

Parnst

Any of you guys ever mess with the craigslist scammers? I put an add on there last night while I was watching KOH. It was for an autographed Kenny Schrader door panel. This morning at 6 a.m. I got a text asking if it was still for sale. I didn't pay any attention to where it came from so I replied yes. I then got a reply that they were in the process of moving and would like to send me a check for $30 more and have me cash it and give it to the movers when they showed up to get it. They just needed an address to send the check. So my reply was that I had just discovered that the door panel was used in a bank robbery get away car and the thieves made the panel out of gold to hide the money so I was going to have to raise my price to $1,000,000. Just send me your bank transaction numbers and a picture of your mom from the top up and we would get this deal done before the authorities solved the case. To my surprise I got an email back! I quote, "nice asshole". lol

Now I am all paranoid that this dude is going to security hack me, lol.

I guess I just couldn't resist form some reason this morning.

A friend of mine got taken by one of these guys back when the scam was fresh. He was out of work and selling car parts to make some cash. Same deal, "I'll send you $1000 extra in a money order, cash it and send $750 to my carrier. Keep the extra $250 for your troubles." Bogus money orders take 2 weeks to clear. My concerns fell on deaf ears and by the time the bank contacted him he owed something like 5k. The guy got him to accept 2 or 3 more. Even the extensive spelling errors we're enough to convince him. That's how it goes I guess, he was hard up for cash and this Nigerian guy was giving it away. Easy prey.

Re: Re: Craigslist Scammers

Beerj said:
A friend of mine got taken by one of these guys back when the scam was fresh. He was out of work and selling car parts to make some cash. Same deal, "I'll send you $1000 extra in a money order, cash it and send $750 to my carrier. Keep the extra $250 for your troubles." Bogus money orders take 2 weeks to clear. My concerns fell on deaf ears and by the time the bank contacted him he owed something like 5k. The guy got him to accept 2 or 3 more. Even the extensive spelling errors we're enough to convince him. That's how it goes I guess, he was hard up for cash and this Nigerian guy was giving it away. Easy prey.
My wife got taken by one of these deals before we got married, guy said to cash a check for him, send him x amount and for her to keep what was left, didn't even tell anyone what she was doing, cashed the check and a few weeks later the bank called wanting their money. Her and a friend split the money that the guy "gave" them and when it came time to pay the bank back her "friend" was nowhere to be found. I think it was a little over 5k that she payed also. Every now and then one of those checks will still show up at her parents house, her dad told me he has gotten several for over 10k