• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Crazy issue with Toyota 5speed

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
I have had something really odd happen two different times with my Toyota 5speed, and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue or know what my be causing it....

The Trans i am running is a Toyota G-52 out of a 84 Pickup.

On two different occasions it has LOCKED its self down in gear....when this happens the shifter can be located in the Netural position and when you let out the clutch it will kill the motor because the trans acts like it is in some really high gear (like 4th or 5th) and the second time this happend the stick locked down like it came out of the socket so to speak and you could not move the gear shifter left ,right or up and down...

Also the first time this happened i was going down hill making a hard left hand turn when it hung up...and the second time i was climbing a ledge that i have been up a number of times in the past with no issues...when that happened i had to winch the buggy forward to unload pressure off the drivetrain to get the T-case into neutral so i could get pulled back.

So i took the transmission shifter out and the only thing i found looked to be the cup the gear shifer sets in was missing, i guess from a lifetime of use....also i pulled the transfer case shifters and they both were fine with NO visible issues.

I ordered replacement Delrin shifter balls and shifter cup from Marlin Crawler for the Trans and T-case....other than that i don't really know what else to do and the only other thing i can even think of it being is maybe a synchronizer in the Trans....

just wondering if others have ever heard of this issue, and if so what it might be.

Thanks guys.

Re:

Seems like mine was a W56 (i think thats right), and it stuck in reverse a few times, had to take shifter out and pry with giant screwdriver to get it to pop out. Apparently from being up on my side a lot and flopping it, it been leaking gear oil out of the top around the shifter, enough to where it didn't have much left in it. Filled it full of gear oil, never stuck again.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
Seems like mine was a W56 (i think thats right), and it stuck in reverse a few times, had to take shifter out and pry with giant screwdriver to get it to pop out. Apparently from being up on my side a lot and flopping it, it been leaking gear oil out of the top around the shifter, enough to where it didn't have much left in it. Filled it full of gear oil, never stuck again.

Mine may have been LOW...i will have to check it.

When i pulled the shifter out i looked down in the Trans at the level but i did not think much about it....this may be the issue.

Thanks for the reply, i will have to check it when i get home.

Sounds like shifter issue to me... two gears at once

If it was in a single gear you wouldn't have had to winch it to get the tcase in N.... could've just pushed the clutch

gottagofast said:
Sounds like shifter issue to me... two gears at once

If it was in a single gear you wouldn't have had to winch it to get the tcase in N.... could've just pushed the clutch

That's why i think it is the shifer....hopefully the parts i have ordered from Marlin Crawler will solve the issue. I ordered them last night, maybe they will be here quickly.