• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins in a ferd (let the hate begin)

Alright. So I've reattached the rear axle to the truck, fixed air leaks, new tires, front brakes, oil changed, fuel filter and some magic in a bottle, cleaned motor and underside. Now it's safe to drive and let someone who knows more about 7.3s to look it over.
I've driven it about 30 miles, it feels like your dragging an anchor.
What are the first things to do to a 1999 7.3? After I get it running better. Keep in mind I'm not looking for a ton more HP but a little better throttle response would be nice. More on the reliability side.

Looking to see about a 6.0 auto trans cooler but it looks like this 550 has a big one.

A programmer with good tunes will really surprise ya, I'd get a ts 6 position with tunes from a good tuner, I've heard this hydra chip is pretty awesome too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep... since you aren't planning extreme mods.. call up PHP and get a hydra.... they have a bunch of good tunes for stockish engines on their server and you can download as many as you want for free after you buy the chip.

You'll love the difference that just a tune will make

Chip it for sure. I had a TS with the stock injectors and it was nice, makes a huge difference. With the new injectors I got the PHP deal with custom tunes.

In your situation (idiots driving it) I'd look at the PHP then you can tuck it way up under the dash so said idiots will never see it.

8cfe66b73162a5b29112856a61880457.jpg

Now if I could just get those tow mirrors to stick out a little bit farther

#dodge

Like everyone has said, get a chip for it, just the 50 horse tune on my TS performance feels like twice the power. Free flowing exhaust and a Napa 6637 mod is all you should need. Leave the 7.3 in there, they are great engines. I have two, one with 340K miles, the other has only 170K.

Here they are in a South Dakota cold start. The glow plug relay on the black one was acting up, replaced it and it fired up in the cold fine later that week. At least one is hooked to a heavy loaded trailer, while the other does DD duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJwI2dpCLRo&t=5s

Agree with the above responses. Get more and cooler air in and out. Picking a heavy tow tune may work out well to keep the exhaust temps in check with your drivers.

Look up 1a auto on the net... get their 08+ conversion mirrors... top notch quality and WAY better than your current mirrors.... then you can sell the old ones to someone w flag mirrors n recoup a big chunk of what you spent on the new ones

I left it on the side of the road if anyone wants to steal it...
If you kick the dash 3 times and turn on the right blinker it will short out the wiring harness and start without a key.

On a side note I was trying to "diagnose" the problem and did a nice standing burnout into a nice slide into traffic, o didn't think the ol girl had it in her.

I'm contemplating this swap on my 97 OBS crew cab. I found a truck(OBS 90) that had the swap done, but th cab was so rusted, he pulled the motor and put it in 6.0 truck. The 90 still has the 5 speed, T case, all teh brackets and accessories to bolt on a 12 valve. I can get this truck cheap. I've been researching what to do to my 7.3, you either do a little mods(up pipes, AR1.0 housing, WW2, and tunes approx $1500) or you do the throw down and drop $5000-$7000(turbo, intercooler, injectors, hpop, fuel system, tunes). For what it cost to hop up the 7.3, I'm well beyond teh price of a 12 V swap. My truck is a 5 speed, and after having a 99 E350 7.3 van with an auto, I prefer the auto with the 7.3. The power band on the 7.3 is very narrow, having a converter to help when needing a little more power to go around beats down shifting with the manual. I will probably do the minor mods for the time being and start collecting parts for the eventual 12 valve swap

At least it out lasted that dodge, you could always sell it to me for dodge prices :stir:

I swapped a 12 valve into a 03 v10 with a 5 speed. rebuilt the motor put compounds on it and put a zf6 trans behind it. Then went to an Allison and hated it it was a standalone trans and it shifted slow. Now the truck has a nv4500 and runs and drives good when I drive it which is every few months.