• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins issues

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
My neighbor has a 04 Cummins auto 4wd that until yesterday ran perfect. He was driving and it idled up high and once it came back down it didn't want to run. He said he even floored it and it still wanted to die. He had to down shift to 2nd to get it to go and even then it didn't want to idle. I plan on taking it out tomorrow to see for myself what it's doing. He's an older guy and isn't all that mechanical. My diesel experience is with a piece of **** early 7.3 powerstroke and my current 12 valve so this one is a bit over my head. Any advice or has this happened to anyone. It's only got like 80k on it and is babied.

Wouldn't think filter since he was driving and it happened without warning. And I'm not sure about the lift pumps on his. Guess I'll take a look when I drive it tomorrow.

I think it's in the tank. Stupid question. How cold is it there? -8 here so we had couple semi's ice up today even with treated fuel

Check you fca. Fuel control actuator. It's on the left had top side of the injector pump it is what controls the cp3 pump literally either won't allow rail pressure or won't idle or pulse when in idle if u unplug it with engine running it should max out fuel pressure causing engine to stutter so to speak. Another trick I learned while checking it is tap the side if the cp3 pump where the fca is bolted In with a hammer ( lightly tap) see if I will let it come up then might be sticking if it ain't that give me a shout help you anyway I can 205 242 3513

My old service truck with a cummins had a small inline screen before the filters, in the cold months after I first got it it would just die driving down the road. That little prefilter would collect junk from the tank and also collect water and would freeze off the fuel flow, took it off beat and blowed all the crap out of it and went on down the road 30 min later. I have seen fuel filters do the same if the water is not drained

On an 04 the lift pump is on the engine. They didn't put them in the tank until '06. Think there was a factory update that could have been done to it but more than likely still mounted on the block.

As suggested, fca is a good idea to check.

04.5 is when the pump went in the tank.

As with any newer vehicle, without a decent scan tool you are just guessing. Guessing on a common rail won't be cheap.

even with a scan tool unless you know what your looking for your guessing. The fca on the cp3 pump is probly the problem but with it idling ip and staying it sounds like injector problems too

Fca is a very common issue in these trucks an it will trick you sometimes when u unplug it it will still go to max psi so you think it's good but could still be sticking could be injector issue to but I still say start with fca after u check lift pump psi

Had a 04.5 do roughly the same thing threw couple codes put my scanner on it read low voltage to lift pump. Put an airdog2 pump on solve the problem. The truck should have thrown a code

Replace the Lift pump or upgrade to a AirDog system....the lift pump should be bolted to the back of the fuel filter housing with four allen bolts.

You really need a scanner or else your going to just throw money at it. But if u don't have a scanner first start by getting it in a warm spot and changing filters next undo the line going to top of CP3(this is mounted same location as your injection pump on your 12 valve) put something under line to catch fuel and turn on key on for 30 seconds you should hear the pump run and you should have good fuel flow through line with no air bubbles. Is there any lights on on dash?

It's been really cold so I haven't messed with it yet. Probably going to take it somewhere and have codes read. Sounds like the smart thing to do.

You should be able to get a code dump by turning the ignition key on and off three times without starting the truck. After that the dodge forum has a good list of the codes in the third gen section if you don't have a manual. I had an 04.5 and my first check would be the lift pump on the back of the fuel filter. I replaced mine with a FASS system and it worked well. I took it off when I sold the truck. I doubt I can get it to you in time to be of help but it is for sale if you are interested. Other possibilities would be the crank sensor, they also go our suddenly and cause a similar issue as the lift pump.

Latest posts