• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins p/s pump

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So the p/s pump in the dodge is getting horrible--can't hardly turn in parking lots. This is probably the only single pump I have never replaced. I have read and heard both ways of doing it (removing pump/vacuum pump together or pulling just the p/s pump)..

Anybody done one? I also read about the seal that goes between the pumps.

So it is easier to pull them together? Looks like one of the studs for the pump only is a tight mofo to get to.

So I assume the vacuum pump seals to the timing cover? Hopefully the seal between the pumps is ok...

The pump to the case isn't the issue. It's the seals between the pumps. They're easy to change as well. Last I heard it was around 12 bucks for the kit from Cummins. But it's been a while..

Sorry to hijack your post but is there another place between the power steering pump and block that can leak out?

Sorry to hijack your post but is there another place between the power steering pump and block that can leak out?

Case to the block is pretty common. I cleaned mine up and just ran some RTV along the joint. Didn't care to pull the cam. It worked.

Sorry it's engine oil.

The oil is running down the block between the power steering pump mount and block. Is there a small seal their?

I think mine is leaking in the same place. I know I have leak down there, its engine oil, but it might just be the oil pan too.

I think mine is leaking in the same place. I know I have leak down there, its engine oil, but it might just be the oil pan too.

At first I thought it was the pan, until I inspected it better. Like I said mines running down in a weird spot. :eeek:

Yeah removing both togethor is the way to do it. Pick up a seal kit from Cummins for the vacuum setup to ($12/kit) n do that while it's out there's some good vids on you tube about all this. Nothing difficult but a few good tips on making things easier

Yep, the gear housing gasket cracks and leaks oil between the block and gear cover...MAJOR job to do it. I have done it twice on 12V's, and once on a 24...AND have done a couple now at work on the ISL (same design, everything's just BIGGER!:redneck:)
I have done just what jeff has done a couple times on the B-series when I worked at a retail shop and the customer could not afford the repair.... One it cured the leak as it was on the side... the other it only slowed, as the gasket was leaking right where I could not get to (there's a spot along the top of the cover against the block you cannot get to with RTV no matter how hard you try!)...Why they used a paper gasket there is beyond me, should've designed/used an aluminum-rubber seal molded gasket IMHO. The gasket is thin enough that I would think you could use a GOOD RTV but have not heard of it being done personally.

At first I thought it was the pan, until I inspected it better. Like I said mines running down in a weird spot. :eeek:
Here...forgot to quote ya! :redneck:
Yep, the gear housing gasket cracks and leaks oil between the block and gear cover...MAJOR job to do it. I have done it twice on 12V's, and once on a 24...AND have done a couple now at work on the ISL (same design, everything's just BIGGER!:redneck:)
I have done just what jeff has done a couple times on the B-series when I worked at a retail shop and the customer could not afford the repair.... One it cured the leak as it was on the side... the other it only slowed, as the gasket was leaking right where I could not get to (there's a spot along the top of the cover against the block you cannot get to with RTV no matter how hard you try!)...Why they used a paper gasket there is beyond me, should've designed/used an aluminum-rubber seal molded gasket IMHO. The gasket is thin enough that I would think you could use a GOOD RTV but have not heard of it being done personally.