• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins VS Duramax

98sierra- is that the original bull bar on that ranch hand bumper? I've got one on my 06 but the tube is different.

it really doesn't cost much in parts to make a 48RE stronger than a stock allison. Better billet torque convertor with more holding ability in the lock up clutches is the expensive part.

Neal3000 said:
THE perfect truck would have a cummins hooked to a allison transmission in a ford body
Thats funny! thats what i always said, I worked for Chevy dealer a long time and I am a GM guy hard core, but they still havent figured out how to build a dam door hinge in the last 50 years!, cummins engine, allison trans, and ford has a great lookin interior, especially the King Ranch

mrdrinksalil said:
98sierra- is that the original bull bar on that ranch hand bumper? I've got one on my 06 but the tube is different.

it really doesn't cost much in parts to make a 48RE stronger than a stock allison. Better billet torque convertor with more holding ability in the lock up clutches is the expensive part.

Yes it is man

Dodge diesels are good trucks and seem to withstand lack of maintenance a little better then a Chevy diesel. If you want to keep injectors in your Dmax stay on top of your fuel filter changes. Allison will hold up fine as long as you don't go screwing the truck up with EFI live, thats just asking for trouble and nothing is going to last. I have a 199,600 mile 05 Dmax, I wouldn't mind EFI for it but that would be just dumb with that mileage. I'm a chevy guy all the way so I'd get a dmax. It will last if you take care of it. Just don't go buy a ford, they are a joke. I just laugh every time I see one.

chevy is like a rock doesnt go any were until u kick one.henry ford made the first cars,they made chevys when the slaves were free so that they would have something even they could afford and work on, Chevy is a joke!!!

rockkrusher said:
Chevy is like a rock doesn't go any were until u kick one.henry ford made the first cars,they made chevys when the slaves were free so that they would have something even they could afford and work on, Chevy is a joke!!!
:drinkers: LMAO

I really like the ford TRUCKS but I couldn't drive one with a diesel a good friend of mine just bought a left over new 2011 model last week and it is SUPER nice but it probably gets terrible fuel milage, has no power, and runs like **** for the first ten minutes if it gets below 40 degrees (that is if it cranks) just like every other ford diesel truck in history.

So is there a consensus that the Allison will probably not hold up to size able loads with a programer on it. Also what is this limp mode bullshit that everyone is talking about like when the transmission goes into 3rd gear and won't shift into anything other than reverse? What causes this to occur heat building up in the transmission sorry I am not very knowledge able on D-maxs.

rockkrusher said:
chevy is like a rock doesnt go any were until u kick one.henry ford made the first cars,they made chevys when the slaves were free so that they would have something even they could afford and work on, Chevy is a joke!!!

You are very intelligent. Can you teach me more about history? Like how slavery was abolished in 1865 and Ford didn't make a truck until 1900.

79Ford said:
So is there a consensus that the Allison will probably not hold up to size able loads with a programer on it. Also what is this limp mode bullshit that everyone is talking about like when the transmission goes into 3rd gear and won't shift into anything other than reverse? What causes this to occur heat building up in the transmission sorry I am not very knowledge able on D-maxs.

When the TCM senses excessive slippage is can put the trans in limp mode. THe ECM also has the ability to pull back engine power when it senses slippage. This is a huge reason for the allisons reliability

a6890e54-62fb-3e91.jpg

Not sure if you can see this video or not I uploaded it from tapatalk. But it's a 2010 duramax being loaded on a flatbed wrecker for the 5th time with only 17,900 miles it's had 2 transmissions replaced and had the engine replaced once already! Oh yeah I forgot to mention that it quit in the middle of the road twice with ECM failure on the way to Golden Mtn.

Neal3000 said:
THE perfect truck would have a cummins hooked to a allison transmission in a ford body

Buddy of mine at work hooked up a 12v Cummins to a Allison transmission and stuck it in a early 1980's 1 ton dually regular cab 4x4.

Also stuck a Banks exhaust brake, Atlas transfer case on it and a few other mods. He has a shitload of money tied up in that thing.

I had an early DMAX. 2001 I believe and that thing pulled like a beast and was nice on the inside and roomy. It got about 14-15mpg empty, never any more. I sold it looking for more room and fuel economy, got a 07 Mega Cab 5.9 that was a turd. Looked great and had lots of extras on it, but was getting 12-13 mpg empty and nothing would improve it. I was not impressed with the way it pulled either. I have a 04 Dodge 5.9 now that is about to be up for sale. It has been a good truck and pulls strong thanks to 4.10 gears and a programmer. Just watch out on the Dodge Quad Cabs if you have kids. The back seat space is a joke, you will need a Mega Cab if you plan to haul the family around.

My dmax is a 01 with a allison. i got 288k with a bully dog programmer and still running strong :dblthumb: take care of them and they will last

leeman1790 said:
Just don't go buy a ford, they are a joke. I just laugh every time I see one.

Such a HATER, I'll let you drive mine and I bet you change your mind. I used to think the same thing as you until I drove the 6.7.

Got an 11 duramax and I love it! Gets 17 without a load and 13 with two rigs on a 40 ft gooseneck. I did have a limp mode problem when I first got it due to the ex filter but its been great ever since. The interior is nice, and it drives like a champ with a load or not.

I have never been a Ford fan, just don't like them. My dad has the new 1500 and the King Ranch interior is amazing. If you wants amenities and nice interior, Ford is the best. Don't know much about their new diesels, I just know the 6.0 is a turd.

Matt O. said:
I have never been a Ford fan, just don't like them. My dad has the new 1500 and the King Ranch interior is amazing. If you wants amenities and nice interior, Ford is the best. Don't know much about their new diesels, I just know the 6.0 is a turd.

I was the same way, I always hated on Fords especially the 6.0s but when i was in the market for a new truck I drove the new 6.7 Ford and was amazed. I've had my truck 1 month and put 3k miles on it already. its gets around 14mpg in town and will get 18 on the highway running 80mph. If a normal person drove it im sure it would even get better.

The Ford stock has as much power as my Dmax with a 125hp tune on it.