• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cummins VS Duramax

Cole said:
I was the same way, I always hated on Fords especially the 6.0s but when i was in the market for a new truck I drove the new 6.7 Ford and was amazed. I've had my truck 1 month and put 3k miles on it already. its gets around 14mpg in town and will get 18 on the highway running 80mph. If a normal person drove it im sure it would even get better.

The Ford stock has as much power as my Dmax with a 125hp tune on it.

I am very impressed whit the new ford as well - I did not really give them a shot when I bought me new dmax but i have several friends with 6.7's and they are pretty bad ass.

I have owned Cummins and Duramax from 99 models to 2011 and I will say that the new Ford could possibly be top of the pile

Cole - now you just need the H & S and delete all that ****!!

I have an '05 Dmax with a Bullydog Triple Dog Downloader and haven't had any mechanical troubles at all. It pulls everything I've ever hooked to it.
The limp mode as previously stated is when the computer sees slipping in the trans (this can be cleared immediately with a code scanner and all works normally).
I cured mine with a $99 Bullydog shift kit and 2 hours of my time to install. I pull my 14,000 lb fifth wheel all over the country 80 mph on the performance (90hp) setting without any problems.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Bully%20Dog/159/153001/10002/-1?CT=999

Jep72m said:
a6890e54-62fb-3e91.jpg

Not sure if you can see this video or not I uploaded it from tapatalk. But it's a 2010 duramax being loaded on a flatbed wrecker for the 5th time with only 17,900 miles it's had 2 transmissions replaced and had the engine replaced once already! Oh yeah I forgot to mention that it quit in the middle of the road twice with ECM failure on the way to Golden Mtn.

Lemon.

Cole said:
Such a HATER, I'll let you drive mine and I bet you change your mind. I used to think the same thing as you until I drove the 6.7.

Guess I can't call all fords terrible pos trucks. Maybe your 6.7 and the ole 7.3 will save fords reputation. The 6.4(and 6.0) is a joke, a real good friend of mine has one with all the dpf crap off, intake, regeared, etc. It drops down to 40mph on hills with a single car trailer and a jeep on tons, I'm going to start offering him my 1980 k20 with a 350/sm465 when he wants tow something :flipoff1:

mrdrinksalil said:
You are very intelligent. Can you teach me more about history? Like how slavery was abolished in 1865 and Ford didn't make a truck until 1900.
yeah after they were free not when slavery started and it is call a joke!!!

I have had Chevy's Ford's and Dodges and the latest I have is a 09 with a 6.7 and for a pulling, Dodge has the best engine and the thing I like now on this truck is it has a lot better shifting transmission and I love the exhaust braking system. A easy way to tell which is best, is look on ebay you see alot of Dodges with super high miles for sale. Hardly any Chevy's and very few Fords. The mileage speaks for itself. Think about it, Cummins engines are built like the ones in a semi truck just smaller.

I have drove all of the above and all have there ups and downs. I personally own an 03 duramax and like a lot although it's got some issues with injectors or something right now ??? The company I work for has had power strokes form late 90s till 11 and. F250s, f350s and a f550 and although nice interiors with plenty of room they have had a lot of problems. We have got a sterling 3500( I think) that has a cummins with a asin trans( Asian built trans copy of the Allison) and it is a great truck. I have pulled a 40' goose neck with a backhoe and it done great. I personally like a duramax and would go with another. I like the dodges but there kinda plane.

I guess it all comes down to what your personally preference is. Your going to get great trucks that never break down and last forever BUT there will always be lemons or friday trucks that are never good from the day they come off the show room. And none the less if you put a super high HP programmer on any truck it will OR may cause problems down the road. But that's my opinion bad as it may be lol

i have an o7 doromax ,just turned over 70000 no problems ,probly the best mony ive spent ,havent ever drove a ford or a dodge ,so cant realy say much about them .before i put 6 inches with 35s was getting 17 - 18 mpg empty,now about 12 to 13 ,i couldnt beleive the dramatic change just from a lil bigger tire . didnt get but 8 mpg last weekend going to witc . has anyone that runs a bigger tire ever changed the gear,if so did it help and what gear .

This is pretty superficial but I really freakin hate the cat eye's grill on the chevys, I hate the back seat on the crew cab dodges, it's the same size as a extended cab ford or gm

And I know the ford 6.0 has a terrible reputation but if you already have one or found a really cheap one you can fix a lot of it's problems for about $1000......egr delete, arp head studs are the main things

I always liked a cummins. They are the best engine by far and get the best mileage. But the interior plain sucks in a Dodge. I wouldn't want to drive to town sitting in those crappy seats much less accross the country. So I got a Ford. :flipoff1:

We see all kinds in the shop,dodge much easier to work on...01-04 d-max had injector problems...2011 are a much heavier built truck.....ford 7.3 good old motor for a v-8 ...6.0 junk good for repair shops....6.4 no fuel milage....6.7 have not worked on them....we do a lot more with the cummins 98.5 to 02 got to have a fass or air dog if any mods are done to keep fuel to the injecter pump....auto must have a converter..high hp needshafts flex plate...manuel good clutch,we use south bend.....common rails add a smarty and they run good around 500 hp.....6.7 put a h&s turner and exhaust,truck runs....I have had several dodges have 5 now 2 of them are twin turboed....have pulled a builed 12 valve several years ago....have raced 99 twin turbo truck....tow with a twin turbo 05 and love it some times at over 30,000 gross.......the d-max is a nice truck...the cummins is a better tow truck for heavy loads,because of the torque

Well from what I have been reading the reason the allison lives is because it will go into limp mode instead of tearing up which is good unless your on the interstate with a 36ft trailer and cant get over 40mph.

The main reason I was looking at the Dmax was because of the allison from what I read I think I would probably need a converter and valve body upgrade to be happy and for that kind of money I could just buy a dual disc south bend :dunno:

I've had '02, '07, and now '06 Crewcab Dmax's
I put just over 20k on that '07 Dmax w/ 22k behind it (owned the truck for 55k). Whole rig tipped the scales a bit over 29,000lbs (ILLEGAL!!!). That truck pulled well, and only went into LIMP once with that trailer on for Low Fuel Rail Pressure, had that truck do it a handful of times though without trailer.
My '06 is a truck possessed, pulls like a freightrain, and asks for more.

I do hear the new Fords are legit, and I've said before, I'd own a Cummins if it werent for the uncomfortable seats in EVERY year. Instead, I'm a Chevy man, and have stayed true. Besides, every messican in Texas drives a ford so they must be cheap.....

79Ford said:
Well from what I have been reading the reason the allison lives is because it will go into limp mode instead of tearing up which is good unless your on the interstate with a 36ft trailer and cant get over 40mph.

The main reason I was looking at the Dmax was because of the allison from what I read I think I would probably need a converter and valve body upgrade to be happy and for that kind of money I could just buy a dual disc south bend :dunno:

I had an 04.5 LLY Dmax up until a month ago. It was a great truck and it got driven hard everyday. I had it from the time it was brand new and put 120k miles on it. The injector harness messed up once but the dealership fixed it and I killed the Allison transmission by stacking programmers on it and racing. I had a Suncoast put in and never had any more problems with the transmission. If you buy a Dmax don't waste your money on any other programmer just go ahead and get EFI Live. It will make the truck seem totally different and even better to drive.

I'm a GM guy, but my daily driver is a 99 E350 with a 7.3, its got 330k on hte odometer, International did a good job with the 7.3. I've got friends with Fords, Dmax's and Cummins, each having their own good and bad points. The biggest draw back to any of the choices is if you can work on it your self, I've got a friend that works at a Ford dealership, he told me the most used tool in the truck shop is the cab lift, to do much of anything to the Ford truck engines(gas or diesel), they pull the cab to work on it, he said its far faster than trying to work over the fenders. My van is a PITA to work on, but I never thought about having to pull the body off to get to something. IF you under warranty, its no big deal, but if you wrench on your own stuff, I'd find something I could work on. Seems the 5.9 swap into a GM dually is pretty popular, If I were going to put something together, Thats what it would be, If I were looking for something to buy, it would be an older(2000-2003) 7.3 Ford, Dmax, or 5.9(there are still plenty of clean ones out there). Take the money I'd save on new vehicle depreciation an upgrade these older ones to prevent issues

Had all 3 in the past few years. Had a 05' ford. Worst truck out of all of them with the best interior. I have a laundry list of things that went bad, including turbo, heads, etc.

Second truck I had was a 05' dodge 3500 with nv5600 and south bend clutch. Cant say enough good about this truck. Pulled 26k pounds to cali 3 times and NEVER left me stranded. The 4.10 gears did leave alot to be desired on the highway though, as max speed was about 65-70 in the sweet spot.

The truck I have now is an 07' chevy LBZ. Has been a great truck and is def. a very good driving truck with good power and great milage now with the PPE programmer, exhaust, upgraded turbo, etc. I personally would look for an 06' or 07' chevy LBZ. The LB7's have injector issues and the LLY's have headgasket issues. Not to mention the LBZ is 360hp in stock form. A far cry from the LML 400hp, but still very respectible without a DPF.

Honestly, its hard to compare the chevy and dodge unless you know the application you want. Are you daily driving? Do you mind a manual trans? What year are you looking for exactly? In my opinion if you say one truck is far superior to another for every application you are ignorant. If you love the nastalgia and ease of maint. of a cummins then go for a dodge. If you enjoy a plush interior and great ride with good power, go chevy.

DMAX! I have had an 07 LBZ, 10 LMM, and still have an 04 LB7 and an 11 LML. put about 200k on all of them combined. I have liked everyone I have had. The new motors are nice as well, and the rest of the truck seems to be alot beefier than previous years. the 5 speed allys limp alot but I have never limped a 6 speed. I would look for an 06-07 LBZ motor in my opinion. Good motor no injector problems/6 speed tranny/decent mileage and no 08+ emmisions. I had to put a water pump on my 04, and it had injectors replaced before I bought it, thats it aside from brakes and normal wear parts. BTW all my friends that have had dodges have traded for a dmax. I dont think you would be dissapointed in a cummins as long as you dont get an auto trans.