• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cutting chromo shafts

xjmarc

Wannabe Bouncer
I got a set of cut to fit chromo shafts and wondered what everyone uses to cut them. I've got a chop saw, portaban, and of course sawzall and speedy cut.

xjmarc said:
I got a set of cut to fit chromo shafts and wondered what everyone uses to cut them. I've got a chop saw, portaban, and of course sawzall and speedy cut.
I used a chop saw.

Wrap a piece of paper around it with the edges lined up on where you want to cut, then cut it with a cut off wheel on a grinder, easiest way by far and the paper will make you cut it straight if you cut on the edge

crawlin85cj said:
We have put them in a horizontal band saw and set it in slow. Little to no cleanup afterward.

X2, if you're going to go the bandsaw (horizontal,vertical,portable whatever) route just make sure your saw it set really slow, like 40 to 60 SF/M. It'll take take longer but you'll actually be able to use that blade on the second one :dblthumb: . To build on Elliot's paper method, I like to use blue painters tape because the contrast helps those of us that cant see so well and also are cheap asses that have been using the same pair of safety glasses so long that superman could hardly see through em. As far as beveling the edge goes, if you, or somebody you know, has either a horizontal or vertical sander you'll likely get a more uniform finish using that than you will with a grinder.