• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D.O.T# cut out of TSL????

briejer

I'm wondering whats up with a set of TSL's when the DOT# is cut out. It looks ground or cut out to the cords, but not into the cords. The dot# area is right close to the bead.

Who cuts out the DOT#?

Are the bad?

Well since that # is like a serial number and unique to every tire... I'd say they're stolen. :wtf:

If they are the 42s you jusy got I know why but I'm not telling:flipoff: but I will tell you they are not stolen

What I learned this morning..........

DOT# is a date of manufacture, not a specific serial munber. That some tire stores(like Schaub) cut out the DOT# when they sell a used set of tires, so the warranty is not exploited.

So.....it looks like a puny set of 42's will reside on my lowrider buggy.

Bingo that is where they came from and they were a return the customer didn't like the ride on the road.

I stand corrected, now please pardon me while I go SLAP the person who told me that.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

When it comes to determining the age of a tire, it is easy to identify when a tire was manufactured by reading its Tire Identification Code (serial number). Unlike vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and the serial numbers used on many other consumer goods (which identify one specific item), Tire Identification Codes are really batch codes that identify which week and year the tire was produced.

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) requires that Tire Identification Code be a combination of eleven or twelve letters and numbers that identify the manufacturing location, tire size, manufacturer's code, and week and year the tire was manufactured.

So they are SOMEWHAT unique, but they are not guaranteed unique. They still come in handy when identifying stolen goods.

Well, now that its already answered...

I was just going to post that I used to work for a tire company, and we had to record the DOT number on the paperwork everytime we mounted a set, but the number was usually the same for all 4 because its a batch code as you all know now, not a unique serial number. Oh well, my two cents, but a little too late. Cant say I didnt try!

~T.J.