• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 histeer arm milling/drilling

What? I'm not sure if you are trying to be mysterious or if you just suck at explaining yourself.

<-----needs new work keyboard :redneck:

I did find a pic of my old POS 44

crashfab313.jpg

Granted with my setup the tie rod isn't in double sheer but the ram end is. But this setup is extreemly strong and my 60 is the same way..

And you put the highsteer arms on the knuckles without milling the top of the knuckle and without conical washers?

And you put the highsteer arms on the knuckles without milling the top of the knuckle and without conical washers?

Yes--no conical washers. And I ran bolts not studs :awesomework:

Ya---I have a hard time doing 2 things at once(work) but yes my keyboard isn't happy :redneck:

4 years of abuse and not once did a single bolt loosen up nor did I ever break anything on the steering. One reason I did the very same setup on my 60.

I would say the crash method will only work with minimum BS wheels. That definetly wouldn't work on my 4 1/8" BS.

Chevy spindles, backing plates and calipers. the only real difference is the backing plates were just a caliper mount with a tin rock shield pre 77. Post 77 they were solid all the way around. The pre 77 calipers were US thread, after was metric I believe. You'll 76-86 f150 hubs and rotors to go 5 on 5.5.

As far as machinest looks like you have that covered but Sky manufacturing will do it for $45.

Chevy spindles, backing plates and calipers. the only real difference is the backing plates were just a caliper mount with a tin rock shield pre 77. Post 77 they were solid all the way around. The pre 77 calipers were US thread, after was metric I believe. You'll 76-86 f150 hubs and rotors to go 5 on 5.5.

As far as machinest looks like you have that covered but Sky manufacturing will do it for $45.

Might want to check that... there are diffrent spindles. The waggy/GM are mostly the same and yes the ford stuff will fit, but if you try to use ford brakes(rotor, caliper ect) it aint gunna work. If you look at a ford spindle and a GM spindle the distance from the knuckle to the inner bearing is diffrent. What you need is a early GM (big bearing?) spindle.

Went through this with a buddys rig that has a GM knuckle on the pass side to run crossover on a ford f150 d44.

OlyWa

Might want to check that... there are diffrent spindles. The waggy/GM are mostly the same and yes the ford stuff will fit, but if you try to use ford brakes(rotor, caliper ect) it aint gunna work. If you look at a ford spindle and a GM spindle the distance from the knuckle to the inner bearing is diffrent. What you need is a early GM (big bearing?) spindle.

Went through this with a buddys rig that has a GM knuckle on the pass side to run crossover on a ford f150 d44.

OlyWa

Huh, that's funny I used 85 F150 hubs/rotors with 76 chevy backing plates and calipers and the factory spindles on a 68 bronco 44 that I swapped from drum to disc...

billy bobs normally has a flat top knuckle thats milled and ready to go, if you give him yours in exchange he will only charge you for the machine work :awesomework:

Just dead set on making a liar out of me eh?

Whatever, all I can tell you is I did it straight up nothing major. Thinking back I did use gm spindles because I had to have the ford hub gears lathed a touch to work with the longer spindle and factory shaft.

Last edited:
in that picture its a six bolt spindle. IDK if just old drum brake fords or what, but every ford or ford knuckle/spindle I have torn down (not one swap, but several front ends) had a five bolt spindle

Chevs always had six and IH/dodge had 8 bolt spindles.

Whos a early bronco guy?:corn:

Your talking d44 right? idk crap about those twigs