• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D44 leaking

GearHead1

I have a 79 F250 4x4 and the D44 is leaking oil out the breather hose even when it hasn't been in 4 wheel drive in months. I checked and everthing is disengauged(the Tcase, hubs). I don't get it. Any ideas?

Pull the breather hose off and make sure its clear of obstructions and clean the breather on the diff inside as well. With the heat lately its possible the gear oil has splashed up on the breather and basically bubbled a bit out. If all of that is clear, it may be time to pull the diff cover and make sure there isn't any water in it. Oil is lighter than water and will rise to the top if there is water in it. The water could of been in there from awhile back and is pushing the oil out with the heat expansion.

x2...It's possibly the front end is still turning due to parasitic drag at speed...
I'd check the fluid level...Are there any cracks in the breather hose? The cracks can act as little vortex's as wind passes by the crack, essentially drawing the oil out... I also had a D44 front off a chev do the same thing, only it was the leaking from the cracks in the hose...replaced the hose and put the breather cap on the new hose...no issues after that.

I think I found the problem. When I installed the gears, I must of missed a small piece of styrofoam from the new bearings. It was in the breather hose. I'll have to drive it around and see if that was it. Thanks for the help guys.