• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D60 Gears

Rick, you are going to break them again.

the setup on the first set was off, but not enough for the breakage. the Yukon set was set up fairly close. not perfect, but close.

You are shock loading the gear set on the weakest side and unless driven easy will continue to do so.

Do yourself a favor and sell the turd intact (except for maybe the brakes)

get yourself a JY 9" and cut the tubes, replace the ends with billet ends, put a 35, or 40 spline spool and axles and reuse your brakes.

Do not use a hp in the rear with your driving style unless it is a tru high-9 .

A regular ford 9" will be plenty just rotate the pinion up. Relocate the oil fill hole about 2" above the axle tubes and fill er up.

Just an opinion, but a very educated one.

Huh glen :haha:
Yes :haha:

I still am not buying that WM is breaking those gears with the shear torque eating power of 35" tires. No fawking way in hell. I dunno why they're breaking, but THAT ain't it. I bet he doesn't have a crawl ratio that could produce enough torque even if the rear tires were bolted to the ground.

Yes :haha:

I still am not buying that WM is breaking those gears with the shear torque eating power of 35" tires. No fawking way in hell. I dunno why they're breaking, but THAT ain't it. I bet he doesn't have a crawl ratio that could produce enough torque even if the rear tires were bolted to the ground.

Using my rig as an example--and many other rigs in comps--I don't buy it either...

If the wheeles were bolted to the ground it wouldn't matter what size tires they were but yeah, I see what you're getting at..
If WM has driving style issues then there's always something that will break.:booo:

Well I guess it can/could be my driving style. I am going to try and learn from this last breakage and not bounce the rig anymore.

Gary I am not ignoring your advise. I just want my rig working this winter so I can play. So I am going to fix this axle now and then start building a new rear axle. Once that is done I'll sell the HP44 I have, retube the CRD and have either a 9" or D60 rear & a HP60 front.

If the wheeles were bolted to the ground it wouldn't matter what size tires
Exactly.

If WM has driving style issues then there's always something that will break.:booo:
I dunno, kinda seems like you should be able to flog the holy **** out that rig on 35's and not break that gear set. If flogging means breaking that gear set, then shouldn't all those guys on 60's and 44's be able to grenade a standard rotation 60 with no problem at all?

Damn WM, I feel for you. Tried to overbuild and still have issues. I have 7:17s(Standard rotation) in my 60s that I have beat the living snot out of for the last 3 years with no probs. Knock on wood, good luck.

I dunno, kinda seems like you should be able to flog the holy **** out that rig on 35's and not break that gear set.

Yes this is true but the rig being heavy along with a bad lap pattern together stack the deck the wrong direction...
I personally think a bad lap pattern will lead to this type of failure more than some would think. There could be other factors too but if it were mine I would gear it again and run it.:awesomework:

I agree that torque is not the issue.

I am refering to SHOCK load. when a wheel is spinning and it grabs traction and you are still on the throttle.

You can take a 5lb sledge and put it against the front bumper and push against an object all day and you will still not have the load of a person rearing the hammer back and swinging a hard blow. A totally different force. now take a ring gear and shock load it on the weak side, go figure it cracks....

You have to look at the other thing too.

The housing was bought and one person did not like it and got rid of it.

A second person got it and did not like it and got rid of it.

A third person got it and does not like it. You think there might be a pattern here?

I still don't think he can do all that damage with 35's. I have 37's and more motor and have bounced the crap out of the rear Pro Rock more times than I can count and NEVER had a rear axle issue. My gears still look brand new. I did, however lose an output shaft on my t-case after 3 years.

Rick- I don't think the issue is caused by your use or your torque loads. I really think you have an issue with the CRD.

Latest posts