• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D70hd vs 14bolt

70hd or 14bolt chunk for front

• Total voters

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
Hey guys. First off, happy memorial day!

So a few days ago I was talking to a shop about installing new tubes on a 14 bolt to build my front. He suggested using a D80 or 70hd chunk instead. I figured I'd stick with the 14 bolt since I already had the chunk with gears and 70hd's/80's aren't very easy to come by around here. Well now there's a fella in AZ selling a 70hd chunk with 4.10 gears (which is what I'll be running) for $25 plus shipping.

I honestly don't recall exactly why he said the danas were better. He did mention that the extra pinion support in a 14 bolt was more of an afterthought since the first ones didn't have it and the bearings are only 7/8s apart. Also said the carrier bearings are bigger on the 70/80. All that said, what do you guys think?

Since when did the "first" 14 bolts not have the 3rd bearing?

I smell bullshit from a bullshit shop.

I'd say most people will suggest using a 14bolt.

Unless you are going to put 80 gears in the 70hd housing, which is not an easy or cheap undertaking, or using a D80.

The 70hd has bigger bearings than a regular 70

Beerj said:
Well he was very adamant about the "hd" part of the 70. Do you know if there's a difference there?
Bearing size and shafts. Gears are the same in all 70's. I have a 70hd rear in my buggy and I researched them ALOT. Even if you add a load bolt to them you will snap the pinion. You will have to run 300m shafts because you can't upgrade past a 35 spline. If there isn't alot of aftermarket custom cool parts for something don't buy it there is a reason.

Beerj said:
Well he was very adamant about the "hd" part of the 70. Do you know if there's a difference there?

Yep, the carrier bearings are a little bigger in the HD. I think thats the only difference other than axle tubes, which you'll be replacing anyway.

I'm hoping it's not a bs shop. I've seen his axle work before and it's top notch. Unfortunately, it's also the only place within a reasonable distance that will retube an axle.

Honestly, I was hoping that you guys would say 14. It's a proven platform and gears are a breeze to setup, especially with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve. Hoping to run 4" .750 wall DOM tubes as long as they'll work with the EOR knuckles.

He also mentioned that the tubes will need to be tapered at the knuckle end. Is this true?

Beerj said:
I'm hoping it's not a bs shop. I've seen his axle work before and it's top notch. Unfortunately, it's also the only place within a reasonable distance that will retube an axle.

Honestly, I was hoping that you guys would say 14. It's a proven platform and gears are a breeze to setup, especially with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve. Hoping to run 4" .750 wall DOM tubes as long as they'll work with the EOR knuckles.

He also mentioned that the tubes will need to be tapered at the knuckle end. Is this true?

It will have to be turned down at the knuckle and the chunk I'm fairly certain!

Don't waste your time or money with a HD Dana 70.

A steering 14 bolt or Dana 80 will be your better choice.

4" x .750 wall is overkill. You're adding a significant amount of weight to the axle. This size tube will have to be turned down to go into most 14 bolt centers.

Rocky

I suppose that might be a little overkill. Do you guys think $300 is a decent price to have the old pressed out and new 3.5 x .500 tubes pressed in and welded?

Beerj said:
I suppose that might be a little overkill. Do you guys think $300 is a decent price to have the old pressed out and new 3.5 x .500 tubes pressed in and welded?
That seems to be the standard price. Was when I had mine done anyways.