• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Damn Dodge

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
Driving home from Silverdale, going up a really steep hill and my truck just dies. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel filter and I have no pressure at all coming from the lift pump. Where is this bitch located, where is the fuse for it and how much and how much of a PITA is this thing to change?

12v mechanical pump cant remember location. 24v should be either bolted to the block just above the starter or in tank. In tank pump is pull the bed or drop the tank. 6.7's i believe are in tank pumps

Don't you have a 24 valve? It's behind and below the fuel filter. Not very difficult at all to replace. 3 7/16's and some fuel lines with an electrical connector. I'd seriously consider an upgrade. Stock is about 140. Aftermarket that fits where the stock one does is about 330, or put it back by the tank. Big guys that mount back by the tank are 550-750 (not really needed though for your setup)

It's a 99 24 valve. It's either in the tank or under the fuel filter. I just went and bought the in the tank one from Oriellys for $230. It's the whole assembly drop in piece. Not sure if I got the right one. :(

**** I got the wrong pump. Just went out and looked. It's the one under the fuel filter. Back to the parts store I go.

lets hope its just your lift pump.... you obviously havent done the swap yet so Its time to upgrade from that stock ticking time bomb pump and get something worth a damn before it eats your vp44 also.

If you havent read the wallet robbing horror stories of the stock lift pump on 24valves i suggest you do now....

replacing that pump with an aftermarket unit is not an upgrade its ESSENTIAL on the 98-02 24valves.

Im running an frame mounted airdog150 with mechanical isspro gauge and the low pressure fuel light did it within 1week of owning my 02 CTD and the truck only had 48k on it when i bought it. Ive worked with and know of 3people who had to replace that vp44 because of the stock pump and I dont plan on being one of them.

Do it once, do it right....

replacing that pump with an aftermarket unit is not an upgrade its ESSENTIAL on the 98-02 24valves.

Im running an frame mounted airdog150 with mechanical isspro gauge and the low pressure fuel light did it within 1week of owning my 02 CTD and the truck only had 48k on it when i bought it. Ive worked with and know of 3people who had to replace that vp44 because of the stock pump and I dont plan on being one of them.

Do it once, do it right....

I would do it, but I need this running to get back and forth to work. Today I have off and luckily it happened on a day off and not too or from work. So I'm just going to get it running then order the upgrades later.

Right on. When you get it going again and still cant swing the new pump if your ever in Shelton let me know and ill give you the one I replaced to keep in your truck just in case this happens again.

The factory update they do. Comes from dodge with a new wiring harness, in tank pump, and bypass plate where the old lift pump was. Those were gravy to do.

Yup, I know. But stock they were all up front.

An aftermarket pump isn't a sure way of saving your injection pump. But it greatly reduces your chances of killing it.

Last edited:
OK now I have a WTF. Prior to changing the fuel pump and fuel filter. The old fuel pump would spin and pump a little bit of fuel, not I just put all new crap in there and it's not pumping.

Injection pump usually throws a code, or you get a dead pedal.

When you bump the starter you can't hear the lift pump running?

Injection pump usually throws a code, or you get a dead pedal.

When you bump the starter you can't hear the lift pump running?

It had a pending code p1688.

Yeh I can here the lift pump running. It's pushing 15psi into the fuel filter.

Now when it died I was doing about 40 mph and it just died like I turned the key off. First thing I did is check the PSI at the fuel filter and it was zero.