• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 30 ball joints

1Jesusfreak

I need some input on putting ball joints in the Dana 30. I am in the process of changing mine and would like to know if it is possible or necessary to get the ball joint to the point where you can get the keeper on that comes with some of them. I messed both lowers trying to do this.

man good luck when I did mine I ruined my harbor frieght balljoint puller on the lowers. I've heard that if you drill into the lowers it makes it easier too extract..

The lowers are the hardest. Torch the old ones out, and clean up the housing for a good burr free fit. Spray a little pb blaster or other lube in there, insert ball joint, then find a piece of tube that fits over the body of the ball joint (needs to be the right size so you don't ruin the socket surface at all), slide it over and then lower the rig every so slightly so the piece of tube you slid over the joint rests on a block of wood with a little pressure, then "pound" on the housing to get the joint in there. Keep lowering the rig a little more and "pounding" as it slides in to exert some pressure.

If you use this method, all your "hammering" is done on the housing itself and you don't risk damaging the joint.

Screw those stupid ball joint presses. I've NEVER had one work as intended.

And yes, you need to get it all the way in otherwise things will never line up right when you put the knuckle back on.

I use the vatozone lifetime warranty joints.

The snap on ball joint press does very well getting the damn things out. I then press the lower one in using the tool. And just hammer the upper one in.

You don't need to put the snap rings on them. If you look at the design, once your knuckle is back on and torqued down, that is what retains them. :awesomework:

Put the ball joints in the freezer overnight, then warm the knuckles up before assembling.

WINNAR!!

work smart not hard.

and for the record, I have installed all balljoints with a hammer too. The press/puller kits suck. If you have a brain, just remember to NOT hammer on important parts and it will be OK.

The press/puller kits suck. If you have a brain, just remember to NOT hammer on important parts and it will be OK.

The press works awesome IF it's a good one and you have the correct adapter pieces. The parts that come with the press alone won't do it, you need the full adapter kit.

The press works awesome IF it's a good one and you have the correct adapter pieces. The parts that come with the press alone won't do it, you need the full adapter kit.

I just like to hammer things on. I just dont trust a press fit.

I can hear when its home with a hammer, I have to just hope it on all the way with a press.

I have an OTC BJ kit and even when I have used it I still get a tube and hammer to listen and feel if its driven home yet.

Just don't get the knuckles TOO hot. Heat soak will melt the internals of the new ball joint. BTDT.

I did that too. Got the knuckles cherry red and dropped the ball joint in. It went in like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. I then watched as the guts of it caught on fire and burned it self away to nothingness. :booo:

Here to vatozone lifetime warranty. :awesomework:

Jokenring, the dana 30 is in a xj For the record I used a press from autozone and it worked so much better than pounding on them, that is just my thought but it did not have all the fancy adapters like some of them have.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Last edited: