• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 30 gear setup

Jeepasaurusrex

Anyone done this axle before?

I'm getting ready to swap in some 4.10 gears and a Spartan locker into mine. I just completed the rear, new bearings etc. The setup kit was about $150. I'm trying to avoid buying that kit for the front, since its only used part time, only in 4wd.

Any advice? The gears/carrier I have to put in there has a bunch of shims with it. The gears I'm pulling out will have some as well. First item on my list will be to build a case spreader. I don't feel like fighting the diff in/out. A pair of setup bearings would be nice, but I am not going to spend that much money on a set.

I did the setup in the rear with no issues. Got the pinion depth nailed on the first try. I got a great pattern as well. Had exactly .007 backlash (spec is .005-.009)

Dana 30, diff spreader? HAHAHAHAHA

Just wheelin it spreads the diff!

Hook its own winch (or another rig) to the middle of the axle and cinch it up.

Those housings are so wimpy, a HF comalong could pretzel one.

set up bearings, what are those? :stirpot:

A non-disconnect D30 is spinning all the time even if you're not in 4wd. Do it right, don't shortcut it just cause it's a front axle.

And yeah, second on not needing a case spreader. Trust me, the old carrier will probably fall right out once you yank the caps.

Make sure the carrier bearing preload is TIGHT. I've done quite a few dana turdys. The housings flex a lot so you want to ensure the carrier is in there tight.

That's all I have to say about that. You can take your old bearings and make setup bearings pretty easily.

And I second that you don't need a case spreader for it. A big mallet to hoss that carrier in there should be all you need.

This is in the front of a CJ, so it's not turning all the time like in a YJ or TJ.

Chances are I will tackle this project in the next week. I am slinging the rebuilt rear under the back today.

Will sure be nice to be locked up front and rear, right Karl?

X3 on not needing a case spreader. Also agree on setting the carrier preload tight as you can get it and still get the carrier in with a mallet...
:awesomework:

This is in the front of a CJ, so it's not turning all the time like in a YJ or TJ.

Chances are I will tackle this project in the next week. I am slinging the rebuilt rear under the back today.

Will sure be nice to be locked up front and rear, right Karl?

Yessir. Go back to reiter and show that rock pile who's boss.

I got the housing stripped down to a bare housing in 1hr 20min. New personnel best for me. I finally got the pinion depth correct as well as the pre-load. Now I have to set the backlash. I guessed, but I have to move a shim or two from one side to the other to tighten it up. Right now its too loose. Overall, not a bad day.

Before that, we worked on Dad's CJ5, then he took it for a 45min test drive..

633439d1370148538-what-did-you-do-your-cj-today-935131_523350114369264_1559559495_n.jpg

Gears/locker is installed and set up. Axle is back together (had two sheared bolts in the pass hub, had to eazy-out). Taking it for a test drive now.

Everything worked as planned. No noise from the rear (other than the tires barking :redneck:)

Found a dirt lot (off 128th in Marysville) to lock in the front. Man what a difference with the locker in the front.