• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 35c axle questions

Rock_Crusher

I have a guy offering up some Yukon axles... for my D35c
which is in my 94 wrangler yj w/ a 4.0 5speed running upto 33in tires...
can I / could I - get away w/ running these Yukons 30spline and just welding the rearend, w/o the famous....

Snap

heavy right footed use!:corn:

I would not weld the rear get a lunch box and if the deal on the axles is next to free then yes run it, but what gears and will you stay with the 33 tires?

He is running 36 iroks with those axles and never had a problem. If you are planing on putting a ford rear end in it then weld it up.

boxboy said:
I would not weld the rear get a lunch box and if the deal on the axles is next to free then yes run it, but what gears and will you stay with the 33 tires?

410's for R&P & 31's in town - 33's on trails, until something, larger / stronger / bigger - comes along.

I had someone on here offer me - Yukon's for a $100.

is that a deal? they should be ok to run upto 33's w/ a medium right foot!
so that was my Q? weld it w/ the Yukon's? or find a actual locker?
can't see buying a ford 8.8 when the longterm goal is to run a Chevy SB & much larger tires w/ a much HEAVIER right foot... :D

Rock_Crusher said:
410's for R&P & 31's in town - 33's on trails, until something, larger / stronger / bigger - comes along.

I had someone on here offer me - Yukon's for a $100.

is that a deal? they should be ok to run upto 33's w/ a medium right foot!
so that was my Q? weld it w/ the Yukon's? or find a actual locker?
can't see buying a ford 8.8 when the longterm goal is to run a Chevy SB & much larger tires w/ a much HEAVIER right foot... :D

Why are you planning so far into the future? You cant even figure out what you are going to do in a minute!!!!!!:D Did you not read my reply dip stick?:D

Brian H said:
Why are you planning so far into the future? You cant even figure out what you are going to do in a minute!!!!!!:D Did you not read my reply dip stick?:D

Hey, Brian................... Slow Down! w/ the smartass remarks. I've had a great day & really don't need your **** right now! :kissmyass:

right now, the jeep is in the zone! but I think everyone has future goals, some way out there & very, very far out of reach. mine are build as I go.
right now, my concern is in the rear end... I was stomping the pedal to the floor today... and everything held up! *:)cool: )

but it's only a matter of time until - Snap! & I'am fawked w/ 2 kids stuck someplace, most likely w/o a cell phone signal at that too! so if i snatched up the yukons, i'd at least have my stockers for spares, while I'am out playing.

My long term goals are with-in my reach. alot of people keep putting down the jeeps, i guess it's a matter of opinion's. this rig is actually pretty fun to drive / wheel. and it is proving itself to *Me anyway.

I believe re-inforcing the frame, adding a set of stronger axles, and getting a Atlas II in the mix, will just be excellent. then I can fiddle fawk w/ the suspention and tweek on the idea of a SB or keep the 4.0

-------------- I'am not jumping your ass Brian, I hear you & get what your saying... like i said, i got out today and had a great time too! skeered myself shitless even. right now, I'am able to drive &/or go wheel. while I build my rig.
and that is very important to me, just looking for strong advice on the axles?

Buy those axles and weld it up. You wont brake them with 33 inch tires!!!! I really dont care if you get pissy about what i said Rich. I just remember the last time you started to get all hyped up about your jeep we saw it on craigslist the very next day! If your scared of braking something then bring spares or buy the good stuff and no worries. Those axles Ray is selling you will do just fine on your rig and wont be a waste of money.

Brian H said:
Buy those axles and weld it up. You wont brake them with 33 inch tires!!!! I really dont care if you get pissy about what i said Rich. I just remember the last time you started to get all hyped up about your jeep we saw it on craigslist the very next day! If your scared of braking something then bring spares or buy the good stuff and no worries. Those axles Ray is selling you will do just fine on your rig and wont be a waste of money.

right on...

I'am not all pissy, I showered when i got home from wheeling today!:flipoff:
Can't do nothing about the shorts though, except wash them!

Jeeps w/ 4.0's & 5speed tranny's running 3.07's & 31's - have a little bit of umph in them, I damn near almost killed myself today! fawking heavy ass Jeep's... I'am so used to Zuk's... and running the same trails and not thinking a bit more, before doing those same trails in a jeep, Can Be Dangerous!

I still have a few more trips out to get used to this whole, It's A Jeep Thing!

It's :cool: Brian, I just felt snappy & figured you'd get it? :D If you got way to get ahold of the Axle guy - let him know - I want Them. Thanks / Later.

Rock_Crusher said:
right on...

I'am not all pissy, I showered when i got home from wheeling today!:flipoff:
Can't do nothing about the shorts though, except wash them!

Jeeps w/ 4.0's & 5speed tranny's running 3.07's & 31's - have a little bit of umph in them, I damn near almost killed myself today! fawking heavy ass Jeep's... I'am so used to Zuk's... and running the same trails and not thinking a bit more, before doing those same trails in a jeep, Can Be Dangerous!

I still have a few more trips out to get used to this whole, It's A Jeep Thing!

It's :cool: Brian, I just felt snappy & figured you'd get it? :D If you got way to get ahold of the Axle guy - let him know - I want Them. Thanks / Later.

Im going to seahawks game with him tomorrow. Ill let him know if he doesnt see this thread in the morning.

Brian H said:
Im going to seahawks game with him tomorrow. Ill let him know if he doesnt see this thread in the morning.

Bring Camera - Take Pic's. & Have FUN. Leave early too... enjoy the day.

Totalled said:
GO TO PICK A PART. $145 and you have an 8.8...

are you sure about that? most everything there * 4wd wise, ends up at OLY4x4
and wouldn't Yukons be just as strong & i'd have spare axles too?
i think down the line, the ford isn't such a good choice, it's still a c-clip axle.

I'd much rather have something stronger or more buildable and non-c-clip.

Rock_Crusher said:
i think down the line, the ford isn't such a good choice, it's still a c-clip axle.

8.8 is the way to go, C-clip or not, the only step above that is the 9 inch and then a 60, but an 8.8 will handle anything up to a 38" tire. IMO

Buddy USED to run D35 welded w/33s and 4.10s with 4.0.

Broke two shafts (both in his driveway) and eventually busted the ring gear. It was amazing what he put it through first.

everyone I know with a D35 and a lunch box busts shafts all the time, plus it is a major pita to disassemble the locker on the trail to pull the clips.

OldGreen said:
Buddy USED to run D35 welded w/33s and 4.10s with 4.0.

Broke two shafts (both in his driveway) and eventually busted the ring gear. It was amazing what he put it through first.

everyone I know with a D35 and a lunch box busts shafts all the time, plus it is a major pita to disassemble the locker on the trail to pull the clips.

so whats the difference in the ford compared to the 35c?

other than axles strength - aren't they put together in the same fashion?
everyone seems to think I'am nuts - when i say, fawk it... I'll just throw a yota rear end in it & be done! whats wrong w/ running a yota rear end?

410's welded upto 33's - dana 30 front open or lunchbox / yota rear welded.

Rock_Crusher said:

31 spline ford axles take more to break than a 4.0 will dish out. The c-clips are a non issue. I never broke my 28 spline 7.5 and I punished it for a year with my V8.

Pick a part had 10 explorers there last time I was, with two 95 and newer that have rear disks. If you just have to have rear disks... it's a R&R swap for a drum brake spolder rear. The housings are all the same, 91-01.

31 spline exploder vs for 7.5 28 spline... and the 28 spline axles makes a D35 27 spline look like a tooth pick...

31-spline-shaft.jpg

31-spline-close.jpg

So my point is this. You can have a small investment into an 8.8 for now, and at least break even when it's time to upgrade to 1 tons. You really dont need the aftermaket 8.8 kit for under 38" tires.

Last edited:
Rock_Crusher said:
so whats the difference in the ford compared to the 35c?

other than axles strength - aren't they put together in the same fashion?
everyone seems to think I'am nuts - when i say, fawk it... I'll just throw a yota rear end in it & be done! whats wrong w/ running a yota rear end?

410's welded upto 33's - dana 30 front open or lunchbox / yota rear welded.
Yes, put together the same way. Same buddy ended up with a welded yota rear and a waggy 44 front. Works really well and he runs 37s now as well. I think a truss is in the future though for the rear.

Last edited: