• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 44/detroit question

ricks

Ok what ive got is waggy dana 44 with a detroit soft locker and I was changing my 90wt and I found a piece of wire that is about 3/32nd in diameter and 2" long. It is about the same size as the outer snap ring for my hubs, so I looked at a exploded view of a detroit and it lookes like it might be a piece of the spring inside the locker but I don't know how it could ever get outside the carrier. Any input would be great before I tear into my locker

Hi All:

Have you tested the front diff to see whether the front 'locker is still working correctly?

Put both axles on jack stands (yes, all 4 tires off the ground) then start up the truck and engage 4wd. If the front lock-out hubs are engaged, you should NOT be able to grab and stop a front tire *if* the front locking diff is working correctly.

If the front 'locker is working alright, then don't worry about it.

Good luck!

Alan

Hi All:
LoO
Have you tested the front diff to see whether the front 'locker is still working correctly?

Put both axles on jack stands (yes, all 4 tires off the ground) then start up the truck and engage 4wd. If the front lock-out hubs are engaged, you should NOT be able to grab and stop a front tire *if* the front locking diff is working correctly.

If the front 'locker is working alright, then don't worry about it.

Good luck!

Alan

Make sure you drink a metric **** ton of beer before performing this text...:redneck:

The only wire in my lockers were burned in when they were welded...

Try calling tech support and see what they have to say, can't hurt...

Make sure you drink a metric **** ton of beer before performing this text...:redneck:

The only wire in my lockers were burned in when they were welded...

Try calling tech support and see what they have to say, can't hurt...

Well you guy's probaly read this post and said:wtf:and so did I. So the locker seems to be working perfectly but I would like to talk to a local shop about this to see if I can order replacement parts and or rebuild kit, even though it still works it has been my experience that things seem to break at the worst time and being new to this board and getting invited on my first run to Elbe I don't want to be the guy that has to be drug out of the woods [not yet anyway]

Last edited:
It sounds like it is a piece of one of the springs inside the Detroit. I should have an extra one here. The spring is highly compressed and there is room for a chunk to get out if it was broken. The locker would probably still work with the broken spring but not as well and you're risking running broken parts through the inside of the locker (and possibly the R&P). I work for beer.

It sounds like it is a piece of one of the springs inside the Detroit. I should have an extra one here. The spring is highly compressed and there is room for a chunk to get out if it was broken. The locker would probably still work with the broken spring but not as well and you're risking running broken parts through the inside of the locker (and possibly the R&P). I work for beer.

Thank's digger5 I will get it out and check for any other damage inside. Where are you located

I broke a spring in my Detroit and it would normaly until you put more power to it and then it would unlock. Olympic 4x4 got parts for it, the spring was pretty cheap.