• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 50 Questions

Freeride

I picked up an axle last night out of a 99 F250 PSD. From everything I've read, it's probably a 50, and it's unlikely it's a 60. I'll pull it apart this weekend to check for sure. I paid $400 for nearly complete (missing rotors and calipers). It's a balljoint, metric 8 lug, unit bearing.

Can this axle be converted to 5 lug & 1/2 ton chevy calipers by redrilling the hubs and is there a caliper bracket available? These balljoint outer knuckles have cast caliper mounts.

Also, is there a c-clip holding the axles in? I pulled apart the outers on one side last night and grabbed onto the stub and couldn't pull the axle out. :scratchhead:

Are the unit bearings just stuck in the knuckles?

That has happened to me on many a D30 that folks have brought me. The unit bearings get stuck in the knuckles and require some persusaion from a BFH.

Also, is there a c-clip holding the axles in? I pulled apart the outers on one side last night and grabbed onto the stub and couldn't pull the axle out. :scratchhead:

No, there isnt a c clip on the axles. Once you have the wheel hub out there will be a big seal that is on the axle and in the knuckle. The seal has a VERY tight fit with the knuckle. Take a big pry bar from the backside and pry between the inner axle and C on housing. The stub axle and seal will slowly come out. When putting back together you will have to pry the axle back in also.

Try not to deform/destroy said seal as they are a dealer only part and run 'bout 35+ per side

Really all yer buying is the knuckles and hubs,the centers are junk.You can buy Cromo 30 spline stubs that fit in the stock spindle bore or you can bore it to accept 35 spline custom stubs which is what I did.

99 Ford???

I doubt it. Napa would have it. Actually I call them WesNappy now, since they got bought out.

No hes right, they are hard to get and pretty expensive. Been through it before, I put LOTS of ball jionts in superdutys at work.

Actually I call them WesNappy now, since they got bought out.

Thats funny JOOP. It actually kinda sucks now......I stopped ordering anything fron Napa cause they couldn't manage to deliver anything without me having to call and scream at them, then the **** was the wrong part! My buddys that worked for Westbay are all quiting.
It's a bad deal for the Westbay guys.
wesnappy........may as well be shmucks now.

I have the unit bearing and seal removed. There's nothing left in the outer knuckle bore. The stub & inner feel like they are being held by a c-clip.

Can these hubs be redrilled to 5x5.5 and can I get a caliper bracket to run single piston chevy calipers?