• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 ball joint axle

Re:

Love mine! Seems to hold up just fyne.
As long as u get good unit bearings they seem to hold up fine too. BUT that's on a 3500# jeep. ;)
Aftermarket stuff is not as easy to find as kingpins...but rock solid performance sells high steer arms for em, they sell chromo parts all over for em.
I've "heard" the BJ knuckle is as tough or tougher than the kingpins. ..but that's hearsay.:)

sended frum dis stoopid fone

Re:

Great axle. Strong and plenty of parts avaliable. Heck of a lot cheaper than a kp in stock form. Running the stock will more than fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Re:

I'm pretty sure if u get a Super Duty ball joint one, the tube are thicker wall as well.
I don't think you'd have an issue, I've seen some 14 bolt builds that use the ball joint outers.
I can say from experience, they are wayyyy easier to service. 6 simple bolts and the shaft can be swapped. 4-bearing bolts, 2 caliper bracket bolts.
Way easier for trail repairs, IF you break it.
Also it already has 35 spline inners..
I'd run it with 43" stickies. I have a 6.0 with a tune, and 40" iroks. No issues yet.

Re:

I know between 5-10, and I know there are more out there.
Call here and ask for Robert. 616 696 8114
He can tell u how many he has built for the "bouncers"

Not 100% sure on these. But some Michigan boys are running them.
I "think" Dale larsons Dana 80 is a ball joint outer?
I "think" Corey in the bounty hunter has ball joint front.
I know 5-6 jeeps with em. Not bouncers though.
I put think in front of Dale and coreys because I aint 100% sure, but I'm 80%. :)

Re:

Just checked, coreys bounty hunter is NOT a ball joint axle.
BuT Dale larsons is! That should be enough proof that they are tough eh..

Re: Re: Dana 60 ball joint axle

Here's a proof pic or two :)
uvesu4eh.jpg

amume9um.jpg

Bama boy said:
Any input on the ford dana 60 ball joint axle would be greatly appreciated thanks

Which style?

there are 3 basic styles of HPBJ60

early/mid 90s with regular wheel hubs (2 different brake styles early/late) - Dynatrac uses this style outer
99-04 Superduty - unit bearing (same unit bearing that Spidertrax and Currie use) - Inner knuckle is the same as early BJ, Outer knuckle is interchangeable with early
05-current Superduty 250/350 - Bigger unit bearing, bigger knuckles/Cs, bigger everything, 35 spline stubs factory
05-current F450/550 dually - 10 lug unit bearings (interchangeable with the 8lug 250/350 bearing) HUGE knuckles and Cs.

Mines been beat on for years. It's the one out of Ethan's ol orange buggy from back in the day. It's still spinning tires

I had one from an '03 Superduty in my old buggy, I was rough on it and never had a bit of problem. The buggy I'm building now has 2nd Gen Dodge ball joint outers. I don't want to start an argument about which is stronger, but I've seen way more busted kingpin knuckles than ball joint. :dunno:

TBItoy said:
Which style?

there are 3 basic styles of HPBJ60

early/mid 90s with regular wheel hubs (2 different brake styles early/late) - Dynatrac uses this style outer
99-04 Superduty - unit bearing (same unit bearing that Spidertrax and Currie use) - Inner knuckle is the same as early BJ, Outer knuckle is interchangeable with early
05-current Superduty 250/350 - Bigger unit bearing, bigger knuckles/Cs, bigger everything, 35 spline stubs factory
05-current F450/550 dually - 10 lug unit bearings (interchangeable with the 8lug 250/350 bearing) HUGE knuckles and Cs.
tHIS
Lets not put all in one category.
I like the 92-97 just becuase they are cheap, not unit bearings, the most common ford shafts that are all over fit right in, real hubs, and if you drill the steering hole and put the heim on top, it is as much high steer as the bottom of a KP HS arm. That said, I'm using 99-04 UB outers on a 9" I'm doing.

Re: Dana 60 ball joint axle

I know I'm an unknown face. I'll throw up a build thread and intro soon. I have run a 97 BJ60 for 4 years now. No unit bearing so just OEM 35 spline inners and Yukon 35sp outers. With warn prem hubs, no flanges, OEM u joints. Zero troubles never broken or complaints. I see kingpins broken every trip. My only complaint is that it takes 800 or so to make a pair of good built right high steer arms and in OEM low steer form, I hang a lot of stuff up front. As far as toughness goes, I like them much more than king pin 60s.

Everyone is probably seeing more Kingpin failures......because thats what 99% of D60 fronts you see out on the trail. Doesn't mean they're weaker. I think its all a moot point when dealing with us weekend warrior / non-racing type folks.

Ok would you recommend using a ball joint axle in a race rig or kingpin it's going to be takin a beatin

We've done well with BJ's. Buy good ball joints and rock out. See what BJ's dynatrac uses and get those. I've not really seen a broken bj knuckle, I've seen lots of broken KP knuckles first hand, meaning my 2 buddies with HP's ended up with plated or reids after a break, none of the BJ's in our group have given up.

The C's and Knuckles on BJ axles are the beef. The BJ is a wear item that absorbes a lot of the stress that would normally be transfered to the knuckle/kingpin/steering studs on a KP axle. High steer is a bit of an issue, theres really not enough meat on the top of a gen1 ford knucle to get a strong connection between the arm and knuckle. I have the '97 Ford D60 using the factory steering attachments and my ram is taking a beating, seems like it hits every rock on the trail, or maybe thats because i suck at rockcrawling lol

Latest posts