• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Danimal's buggy build

This buggy is bad ass. I have wheeled with it many of times. That hood actually scratched up my hood after one of those epic rolls. :****: It's looking good Dan keep it up.

Few small updates, nothing too crazy. I finished up the 14 bolt. Added new wheel bearings in the hubs and installed new calipers.

Attachments

• 14 bolt.jpg
    14 bolt.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 601
Also got a gusset kit for the knuckles. I can't swing for the reids right now but these should hold for a while. I had to do these in stages, since they are cast.. I preheated them in the oven at 500 degrees and then heated them almost to glowing red with the torch before welding them up (on the highest setting) then put them back in the oven and slowly turned down the heat and cooled them over a few hours time.

Also gusseted the inner "C" on the axle tube to add strength..

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 604
  • tacked.jpg
    tacked.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 611
  • welded.jpg
    welded.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 609
  • welded two.jpg
    welded two.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 607
Inner C gusset... tacked into place and then ground and "filled" several times for a smooth transition

Attachments

• gusset ground.jpg
    gusset ground.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 602
  • gusset.jpg
    gusset.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 606
Started collecting my Chromo shafts for the 60. When I bought it one side had yukon chromos (short side inner/outer 30/35 spline) but the long side was completely stock. So I just purchased one more Yukon outer stub and next month will get the long side to complete the package.

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 616
Ordeded my link tabs for the 60/14 from blue torch. Getting closer to being a roller!! This project may get put on the back burner for the next month. My buddy Mike (Donkey) and I decieded to run his buggy in the ECORS race coming up July 4th weekend at Durhamtown in GA. He's got a nice capable rig but it needs some mods and saftey items added to be legal for B class. It's gonna be a good time> I will be co-dawging in the race. You can follow along his build and progress at www.facebook.com/donkeymotorsports

I hope I don't get addicted, but if I do I know who will be my co-dawg

Attachments

• IMG00239-20120510-1749.jpg
    IMG00239-20120510-1749.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 109
Thanks for the props... Not alot of "exciting" stuff going on right now but all necessary stuff that needs to be done. I'm spending alot of time gusseting, trussing, welding and just plain beefing the shiz out of everything NOW to avoid bending or breakage LATER. I plan on giving this rig a beat down every now and then...not gonna lie. And I want it to survive (for the most part). I want to be able to catch some serious air and eat some rocks from time to time.

AIR TIME is in my future! HA ha loller.gif

Attachments

• 485181262_uyfT3-M-1.jpg
    485181262_uyfT3-M-1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 587
It will take some beat downs. I beat that little bitch up quite a bit. :****:

There are a few spots that I would gusset on the chassis if you plan to race it or REALLY jump it. Nothing too serious though.

Progress is looking good, things are coming along!

Got the springs for the 16" TK1 coilovers back from the powder coater's today. They are QA1 coils 150/200 spring rates. They were pretty rusty and just plain crusty.. I assembled them in the living room, It's starting to get muggy in the garage here in FL. Going to have the same company possibly powder coat the chassis when I'm ready in a hammered typed finish..time and money will tell :dunno: Anyways on to the pics

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 119
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,230
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 120
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,231
Thanks for the props and reply's. I always look forward to suggestions or advice. Lee, I will still be bugging you for a while with questions I'm sure but I will keep It to a minimum. Need to start looking for tires to make this biatch a roller. Prob gonna buy a good (almost new) set off here or Pirate if its not too far of a drive. Leaning towards 39" reds, 42 Iroks, 42" new style mtrs?? We will see, Gonn be BIG and STICKY though, (that sounded a little :gay:) More to come

Rolled my buddy Mike's buggy into the garage today and started working on it to get ready for ECORS B class July 4th weekend. We welded in the shock hoops, started on the PSC full hydro, and started lowering the seats for more head room with helmets. These tires and wheels are just rollers. Will have krawlers/walkers on race day :dblthumb: Will let you know how we made out after the race! The green monster will get pushed to the side for about a month but after the race we will get back on it hard.

Attachments

• Mike's buggy.jpg
    Mike's buggy.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,159
Danimal said:
Rolled my buddy Mike's buggy into the garage today and started working on it to get ready for ECORS B class July 4th weekend. We welded in the shock hoops, started on the PSC full hydro, and started lowering the seats for more head room with helmets. These tires and wheels are just rollers. Will have krawlers/walkers on race day :dblthumb: Will let you know how we made out after the race! The green monster will get pushed to the side for about a month but after the race we will get back on it hard.

Why don't ya just throw together a build thread for his racer as well?

Well, were back from the race and had a blast! Mike placed 3rd in B class his first time out.. :****: The race was 6 laps and each lap was 5 miles long, I totally get the "endurance" thing now. The best way to describe being a co-dawg is its like being on a dusty roller-coaster for about an hour and a half. ;D Anyways, here's a few pics...congrats Mike!

Attachments

• 561321_421068017931787_499037577_n.jpg
    561321_421068017931787_499037577_n.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 552250_421069091265013_1599318979_n.jpg
    552250_421069091265013_1599318979_n.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 559168_421068104598445_1386629559_n.jpg
    559168_421068104598445_1386629559_n.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 113
Ok, with the racer gone and the garage cleaned up, I started the layout to see where I want to set my wheelbase and to start building links. Bringing this build back to life!

Attachments

• layout.jpg
    layout.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,002
  • layout two.jpg
    layout two.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,011
progress is looking good!

I had it at about 107-108 and it was perfect. Its pretty nimble and small... i would try to keep it under 110 to keep the breakover angle decent.

however i just noticed...

I would be a bit concerned with that truss/steering mount on the axle. You would be hard pressed to have decent ride height and uptravel with that thing on there. I can get you some pictures of how it was on mine...but the axle and chassis were designed so the axle would go up into the chassis right there. there was no truss on top of mine. The steering went in front of the axle (on a long tube bent around the front). The upper link mounts BARELY went up inside the chassis in the front. It sat pretty damn low and had about 6 inches up before full bump.

Let me know if you have any questions on how it was setup.