• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

death wobble

68jeepsterkid

So I need some help figuring out what camber and toe I need to run with my 42" tires,I had 38.5's on and it wasn't a problem. now with the 42's I get serious death wobble at about 35 mph. my current caster is +5 degrees and the toe is .25" and I have a rs5000 damper on. anyone have any specs on tires this size?

So I need some help figuring out what camber and toe I need to run with my 42" tires,I had 38.5's on and it wasn't a problem. now with the 42's I get serious death wobble at about 35 mph. my current caster is +5 degrees and the toe is .25" and I have a rs5000 damper on. anyone have any specs on tires this size?

1/4" .25" toe in is a lot. mine is set at about 1/16"

other than that bbs in the tires. check all you ball joints and TREs make sure everything is tight.

are you toed in .25 perside, or is your total toe .25? caster won't effect something like a wabble, check all your steering linkage and TRE balljoints ect... are your tires balanced? bent wheel?

wobble

the toe is a total of .25. I haven't tried the balancing and all the joints are tight last I checked,I will check again,I know after every trip things change. is dynamic balancing the same as patch balance where they laminate sheets of rubber to the inside of the tire?

is dynamic balancing the same as patch balance where they laminate sheets of rubber to the inside of the tire?

No, you put a certain amount of weights in the tires to balance them out. (bb's or airsoft pellets, or ceramic beads.)

Check those links I posted earlier in this thread.

It is a kingpin dana 60. I like the bead idea,also when I took a look at the tie rod(factory 1 ton) it is actually bowed.I have high steer so it must have been stressed over at Naches this last weekend.so I am going to start with chromoly tie rod and the dynabeads,then I'll let you guys know how it works out!

About 6 golf balls per tire. Thats the reports I have heard an allot cheaper than and commercial stuff.

Search 'death wobble' hear, Snort and the PBB. Seen it come up lots of times, and IIRC it can have to do with TOO MUCH caster, worn steering, and warn or loose upper king-pin 'cone' and spring. I've heard shimming that spring (or eliminating it) is one of the most sure cures.

This is all web wheeling info, so take with a grain of salt.
________
Bbw Facehumpers

Last edited:
i dont reccomend golfballs. the skin on them will fatigue and then you have a huge lump of rubberbands. ive seen a few golf balls come apart in the years. BBs or airsoft works good.

about the toe in .25 is too much IMHO. fix the steering and set the toe in to about 1/16" in.

Latest posts