• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired delete

Re: Re: Re:

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Aftermarket, is that good or you wanting stock ones?
Just curious.

I saw where you said you'd separate gears from 3rds, I thought with welded diffs you may have pulled some stock 4.88 3rds, didn't know if you were aware that stock 4.88 gears will only work in stock 4.88 3rds....

But since your gears are aftermarket, it's all good for someone wanting to swap them in any other common Toyota 3rd.

:dblthumb:

TBItoy said:
Just curious.

I saw where you said you'd separate gears from 3rds, I thought with welded diffs you may have pulled some stock 4.88 3rds, didn't know if you were aware that stock 4.88 gears will only work in stock 4.88 3rds....

But since your gears are aftermarket, it's all good for someone wanting to swap them in any other common Toyota 3rd.

:dblthumb:

Well I didn't know that what makes the factory gears different that you can't use them in any other third?

Stuntman Autoworks said:
Well I didn't know that what makes the factory gears different that you can't use them in any other third?

they are a thin ring gear, and instead of making a different offset carrier (like Dana did for high/low ratio gears) Toyota decided to cast an entirely new 3rd member with the pinion closer to the ring gear mounting surface.

I assume one could make a ring gear spacer to run factory 4.88 gears in a non 4.88 3rd, but no one makes one that I know of...

Re: Toyota axle gears, thirds, housings and parts

been trying to get a picture of center hub.. on rear axles.. that will tell chomo or not.......