• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Desert 100 experience

426rider

I went and had a great time. It was my first time and here is my experience.

At arrival saturday evening trying to find a spot to set up camp was a little confusing but it didn't take to long. We were camped out by the kids track and there were bikes haulin balls up and down the camping lanes. Some quads ridin around. Many without spark arrestors. So we realized that the rules were not being enforced too well.(5pmh in camp area, No quad riding allowed, spark arrestor required, ect.) The line for sign-ups was pretty long and we were disapointed we had to wait so long since we preregistered. After about 5 minutes someone was telling people that preregistration packets can be picked up in a different area. In and out in less than 2 minutes. I will definitely preregister again.

Sunday morning I woke up early (6am) so I had plenty of time to get ready. People were already finding their pit area so I threw my stuff in my truck and headed to get a decent pit. Went back to camp to do my final bike check before the race. Headed up to the riders meeting early that was supposed to start at 8:30. At 8:30 someone on the microphone said "remember to show up at the riders meeting in your gear, on your bike ready to start." I ran back to camp to get my gear on and my bike and back I go. Riders meeting almost over. So we ride out to the start, its a bit crazy with soo many bikes but exitement is flowin. I get my stick to prop up my bike find my spot inline and go 100' back, take my nerves pee and while waiting for the horns to blow for the start I see a bunch o people running for their bikes already- no Horn yet. So I take off.

The start was nuts. Sage brush everywhere, rocks everywhere, 1000+ bikes everywhere. About a mile and a half in first bottle neck. 10 minutes maybe waiting to go down a single track hill. Ride for 5 min, another bottleneck about 10 min again waiting to go up a single track hill. Ride for about 15 min. last bottleneck 45 minutes waiting to go over a small hole with rock and people falling into the river along side the trail. After that I was in the clear.

Somewhere about the 8-10 mile mark I kicked a rock with my left foot that was behind spme sagebrush going about 25-30 mph. Almost tossed me off the bike. Turns out I broke my small toe in 3 places and possibly my big toe. I continue on. Really gettin into the groove now. I see people down every so often. Checkpoint workers were great at keepin us rollin. The course was fun and marked well. Medic quads and track sweepers are doin their job at findin the injured and broken down bikes. I pass one guy on a stretcher, no one workin on him anymore. I later find out he passed away from apparent cardiac arrest. Say a prayer in my head and hit the throttle. The course was fun, lots of little up and down hill areas, more whoops than I expected but not completely whooped out. Lots o rocks but I was told there were lots so I was ready for it. It was a little more technical than I expected and not as much wide open as I thought it would be. Lots of 2nd and 3rd gear for me.About 3/4 of the way in the first loop I realize that I didn't save enough energy for the last bit of my loop. I had to slow because I was too tired to keep going fast safely. I keep goin like this till I see the pits then its throttle on. Roll into the pits pass my teamate the numbers and checkpoint tag. Refill the bike. Let him know of some of the dangers and to pace himself good and he takes off. A couple hours later we get a finish. He got a flat somewhere before the last checkpoint but finished on it.

All in all I was very happy I did it. I will most likely do it again.
Stumpjumpers did a great job with the course. Rules enforcement and the start could use some work but I don't know how it could be handled better without a mass of security. Sani cans should have been cleaned out each day. They were over full.

Great experience, thanks Stumjumpers.

Thats one pretty foot there:redneck:

Last edited:
You had a better expierience than most from what I heard, which was that it was the typical D100 clusterfuck. The lax rules and rule bending (including NMA rules at NMA series events) is something that has turned me off of stumpy events for good, but that's a different story for another time and place. Really sucks about that guy that died on the course.

Last edited:
That's great you finished, it took me a couple of years just to get accros the finish line. But that was like in 1904, not really but it was 1976. Then it was Mattawa 100. Then got moved to E-town and changed name. Had my best finish in '81. Rode a brand new CR125 Honda, wouldn't start at the starting line without the choke, so I was in the last 20 or so to leave the line. So I just said, well guess I'll just ride and have fun. Now this was at the orginal Mattawa location, which means FAST FAST and HILLS more HILLS.. Came into the finish and the gal in the trailer didn't believe I was on a 125. I was 6th overall and 1st ub 200 class, no 250 had come in yet. Only team and open bikes. Since then I had many top 20 overalls and alot of fun. Just don't race, just ride for fun and you stay more relaxed. The other fun run was in '94 when I rode a XR650L. Box stock, paper air filter, rack on the back for my lunch on the way to work, stock exhause. That thing just flat loved the dessert. I honked the horn and used my blinker at ever check stop. That was cool. At one point I was following this KX200 and he wouldn't get out of my way, so I waited until we hit a road. He went through his gears and was tucked down for top speed, so I pulled up beside him and shifted into 5th and hit the gas and the XR650L was gone. Finished like 22 overall and 2nd in 4stroke class. So be sure and go back, I works out nice to get there Sat, and take a prerun lap with the pokerrun guys.

Here's what I found out in the garage, 1999, one of my last years
20070417rockrails0008hf7.jpg

20070417rockrails0007ui8.jpg

Right on Bruce. I didn't know you were a MC guy too. We should go wheelin again soon. Or maybe ridin if you still got a bike.

Cool writeup D, was good to see you at Moses, glad your event went as well as it did, I was looking forward to hearing about it. That sounds like a fun experience, regardless of how competitive anyone wants to be. :awesomework:

oh, and nice foot :redneck:

I think I have done the Desert100 like 10 times over the years and finished with in the top 10 for 4-stoke most ever time. The first couple years there was only like 5 or less 4-stokes even entered.

In 2005 my friend was force off the course, when going through the jeep track, hit the soft sand, flipped the bike, ended up breaking all the long bones in his foot folding his toes back to touch his ankle.

for me, 2 wheels is 2 too few :)
not enough common sense to ride a bike.
the horsepower:wheels:common sense ratio is all screwed up.
Sounds like fun though.