• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Deskjobs and surfing the web

I

InDaShop

To stop the highjack on the Randy thread.

Ok, so I said

InDaShop said:
what Nolen said. I'm putting in work right now SON! I got my Hardline on!
I swear sitting at a desk 60 hours a week would suck without Hardline, Pirate, and AOLIM.
And for anyone that tells me to surf less, I could make it a 40 hour work week dont understand. Its not volume of work, its timing of work.

To expand on that. I would actually love to be in the shop and do fab work, like one solid week a month. Everyday would make me hate it, and I'd start surfing sites that are all about office work, pushing papers, upgrading the paper shredder to do 25 sheets per time without snapping a drive gear, etc....

Yep desk job gives me somethin 2 do in between my suffing the interweb tellin' people how they should build their **** :flipoff1:

oh and the paycheck for it helps... I am here 10-12 a day though so 5-10 min an hour I'm sufin teh interweb is pretty small in the grand scheme of things...

Im down with the desk, fabbin errr day is the suck. ** Well it may not be if its for yourself and you have great tooling and resources.

I surf there for I am laughing1

Mines more of a "hangar" job. I dont sit at the desk all day unless im just being a lazy **** because I drank to much the night before :popcorn:

Mr. Underkill said:
screw the desk job...surf'n @ 70 between service calls

LOL....90 percent of my posts are off my mobile.....I generally only surf and drive when I am on the interstate.....I dont even have a desk :)

wngrog said:
LOL....90 percent of my posts are off my mobile.....I generally only surf and drive when I am on the interstate.....I dont even have a desk :)

swapped PM's back and forth with Matt all the way to Cali. Think Matt O & P can deal with it?

I am a bodyman at my family bodyshop and i sit my laptop on top of my toolbox and surf while **** is drying or i feel like it!!!!

anyone ever get in trouble? I frequently worry that I'll get busted laughing1 but I don't knwo... and won't ask the company policy on it...

i normally come in and check out what has gone on from the night before (since i don't get on a computer when i'm not at work) for about 2 hours. see if there is anything i need to do that involves work (emails, whatever). if not go back to the web till lunch. after lunch surf the web for about 2 hours, see if i need to get anything shipped out before ups comes, then after ups it webtime until i leave. so in a normal 40 hour work week i do about 10-15 hours of actual work. i do have to answer customer phone calls all day, but normally i tune them out and keep reading on the web. i don't really worry about getting busted b/c my boss is pretty cool and as long as the company is making money and things are getting done for the most part, he doesn't care what the hell we are doing. the way i look at is, if i get the work done that they ask me to do or i'm responsible for, then what i do in my down time is up to me. the company i work for is small, there is no place to go if i do extra work, nobody would even notice if i was bust'n my ass doing extra and the pay definitely does give me any motivation to bust my ass. I've got a degree, i know how to work and work hard when i need to.

Man I hit it when I have a minute to check out what is going on. It is evil, like a drug! If I have work to do I will focus on it for hours at a time, and the pop in for a breathre to see what's up. I love being at my desk because I stay informed. Some days may be slow and I have a specific problem I am trying to solve with the rig or an upgrade planned, so I will research a lot on PBB and make a few calls. I enjoy the planning side of things. When I am in the shop working on my rig I never get online and I have a dedicated computer right next to my workbench in the basement. I love to focus on the job at hand when it is time to work.

fawk that - my job is exactly like office space. I get like 20-30 mins of work done a week. I hate my job, I surf way too much, the internet has run dry and I get bored.

I've been busted, it's almost a daily thing, but only once I got a sit down with the manager. I've never been late on a deadline and I'm a multi tasker and I'm always thinkin about something even if not doing it. So they just have to understand how i do things and they didn't disagree just said it's about "appearances" to my co workers. My coworkers can eat a **** I'd go crazy if I stared at numbers and technical documents non stop.

rockwild said:
fawk that - my job is exactly like office space. I get like 20-30 mins of work done a week. I hate my job, I surf way too much, the internet has run dry and I get bored.

I've been busted, it's almost a daily thing, but only once I got a sit down with the manager. I've never been late on a deadline and I'm a multi tasker and I'm always thinkin about something even if not doing it. So they just have to understand how i do things and they didn't disagree just said it's about "appearances" to my co workers. My coworkers can eat a **** I'd go crazy if I stared at numbers and technical documents non stop.

I think 20 - 30 mins a week is a stretch Travis. Maybe 10 - 20 mins if you show up on time! :flipper:

It depends on if I'm sitting at my desk or out on the lab floor. This week I've been in and out so haven't been on as much. If I'm sitting here analyzing data I usually have PBB and something else up. My second monitor is hidden from anyone just walking in the office so I usually put some analysis software up that my boss doesn't understand on the other one and do random things on it.

20-30 minutes a week....come on...., lets just say you work an hour a day. how do you keep from killing yourself?

wngrog said:
20-30 minutes a week....come on...., lets just say you work an hour a day. how do you keep from killing yourself?

not sure but I just got a job offer today so....

it's something much more enjoyable so I'll actually work if I enjoy it even a little. Now I go out to the shop and build stuff to stay sane