• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Detroit breakage

Toyotanut

When a hub, shaft or ujoint fails why can is cause the detroit to fail as well. I understand that it doesn't always happen but am curious as to why it happens.

Your axle is like a torsion spring. When you break a hub or axle the axle springs forward and the clutch/holdout ring assembly tries to unlock. Sometimes there is so much spring pressure that the unit can't unlock fast enough and it strips the teeth on the clutch/holdout ring assembly. This problem is not really that common when you consider how many axles and hubs break. I see more of this in soft axles that allow more twist.

This is mostly a problem with diff's that have upgraded shaft's in them. Go read up on shaft strength test's, it gives a spec on actual torque, and degree's of twist. The detroit will not break due to (foreward) torquing, but to load an axle (and detroit) up to 12,000 ft lbs takes a long period of time, and for it to give and recoil only takes a thousanth of a second. It's just too much for a locker that is designed to have give for unlocking.

I broke the holy crap out of a stock toy rear shaft and the detroit was fine:cheer: ..So there

Like I said.....far less common with stock shafts.

right....

biggest exception to that rule I can think of is 14 bolts....

when one of those shafts lets go, it seems to almost always take a detroit w/ it...

right....

biggest exception to that rule I can think of is 14 bolts....

when one of those shafts lets go, it seems to almost always take a detroit w/ it...

but isnt that the purpose for a 14 bolt so you cant break it:haha:

ive seen many broken 44 shafts with no damage to the detroit. all stock shafts though...

I've broken the side teeth on a D44 Detroit AND an 8.8 Detroit. But Scott says I'm more of the exception to the rule. :flipoff:

John

I have not owned a Detroit, but have heard many Toyota guys talking about breaking one when a birfield broke. Supposedly, a lunchbox locker can take it, where a Detroit can't? Maybe cuz the Detroit is so much tighter? I don't know...

When I hung out on TTORA a bunch of Tacoma guys were breaking them in front D44 axles...usually happened when running cromo axles/joints and they managed to break one of them. With the lockrights it was just breaking the pins(sometimes) I think which are cheaper to replace than the detroit

You're welcome. :redneck:

The D44 breakage was fully my fault. Full throttle @ the Funny Rocks in the middle of the night in the dark and snow and then broke a Yukon Alloy Shaft while smoking all 4 tires.

J

front 44??

I'm trying to figure out what locker to go with on my 44 project. :cool:

ARB, that way you can still turn corners, if you set it up right you should never have a problem with it. :awesomework:

I plan on going hydro. I wont have a problem turning :redneck: I have an ARB right now and love it. But I dont think its going to be in my "budget" build..

Last edited:
are you looking to buy a set up 44?

58" WMS-WMS, ARB, 4.56 gears, Yukon Cromos, CTMs, Ford internal hubs 5 on 5.5........

no I won some alloy usa axles, picking up a housing for $40. So my dana 30 is up for sale and I'll be building a 44