• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Disco pass for Buck Creek?

NotSoPC

I am thinking I may be ok with out it but is a disco pass needed for Buck Creek (Ranger Creek) up past Greenwater? Heading there tomorrow night with some friends and was wondering

Forest pass only required if it's an area that actually requires a Forest Pass. In other words, not all USFS lands require a forest pass. I say this because on another forum I frequent, some people there (the noobs) always seem to think the pass is required to run the Naches Trail... which is wrong.

Generally speaking it's "hiking trailheads and the parking areas for those trailheads " that require the NW Forest Pass.

at Ranger Creek, it looks like it is required, for the "trailhead": (it's in the Mt Baker / Snoq Nat'l Forest) (whebn I use the terms trailhead, I'm using it to describe "hiking" trailheads, not OHV trailheads"

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_026964

BUT, the above info doesn't really answer the question. I haven't been to Buck Creek (now called Ranger Creek) in 15+ years, though I drive by on 410 all the time, so I don't know where the FS Pass sign is posted there.

Once you leave the highway, I have no idea where the "trailhead parking area" is.

In other areas, anytime I've been to areas where the NW Forest Pass is required, there's a sign clearly stating it is required, and once you go beyond that sign, and park, then the pass is needed.

If you go "behind the sign", pass is needed. if you are in front of the sign, then no pass is needed.... loosely defined I might add. So if you went to Ranger Creek and saw a sign as you exited 410, then anywhere you go behind that sign, you'd need a pass........ but if there was a specific parking area, and the sign was posted at that parking area, then you can go elsewhere and not need a pass, unless you used the parking area where the sign is posted, OR went beyond the sign. I highly doubt the sign is posted as you exit the highway, because there's a network of forest roads back there (at least 15 years ago there was, which I have driven on occasion). I've never seen a sign posted at the entrance to a network of forest roads - it's generally posted at a parking area.

Evans Creek is a different situation though. I think a pass is require to go anywhere there, but it seems s though a sign is posted, so like above, once you go behind the sign, pass needed.

Last edited:
We are going to be in the camp ground area as the north end of the air strip. I know there is a sign when you turn in there to the camp grounds but do not remember if it says you need a pass or not. I am going to get one and have my buddies do the same just in case.

We are going to be in the camp ground area as the north end of the air strip. I know there is a sign when you turn in there to the camp grounds but do not remember if it says you need a pass or not. I am going to get one and have my buddies do the same just in case.

That's probably a safe bet, usually the forest pass is required where the forest service maintains things, such as trailheads, campgrounds, parking areas.