• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DIY rear CV driveline u-joint change

whiterice

I have a rear driveline out of my TJ which has been upgraded to a CV style.
Well the u-joints are making some noise so I need to change em out. Is there a order to the maddness to make the job easier? Like the end u-joint first? or take the center u-joint(one common to the driveline tube) and then mess with the CV part by itself. Someone said the center bearing is the hard, but I can't see what they mean by that. I have a press here at home so hoping for an easy swap. Sorry no pictures right now, thought pretty much straight forward.

Brad and I had CV's down to a science....but that was years ago.

IIRC....The biggest thing is to have a second set of hands to hold that center sprung pressure thingy down so you can get the caps off the end joint and that loosens the whole thing up and it comes apart fairly easy after that.....been along time though since Brad,Jack and myself all lived under the same roof and were swapping CV's out on regular basis:redneck:

Thanks Jeff, I picked up new u-joints today so tomorrow I will give it a shot.
Outbd end first, push in center spring and away I go,,
Let ya know how I do..:D

Got it apart today and the centering ball was bad. Went and picked up a new one at Drivelines NW, which the worst part was driving north in I-5. But the install went smooth.. thanks for the input. One u-uoint had some small pitting but I think most of the noise was from the dried out, rusted out center ball. Back on the road and nice and quiet, well for a topless TJ anyway..