• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do You Have A Cage???

Do You Have A Cage???

• Total voters
The main structure is 1 5/8 and 1 1/4x.134" seam tube, couldn't honestly say if its HREW or CREW. I bought the kit from Chris Alston chassisworks. The rear section and future additions will all be 1/12x.120" dom.

The main portion wasn't bent by me, bobracing bent the rear portion. All the welding was done by myself.

Of course I trust it, its been flopped and took a hard multiple roll.

Yep yours held up pretty good. Now if you could just learn to drive:flipoff:

The main structure is 1 5/8 and 1 1/4x.134" seam tube, couldn't honestly say if its HREW or CREW. I bought the kit from Chris Alston chassisworks. The rear section and future additions will all be 1/12x.120" dom.

The main portion wasn't bent by me, bobracing bent the rear portion. All the welding was done by myself.

Of course I trust it, its been flopped and took a hard multiple roll.

its actually pretty easy to tell. Is there any scale at all on the steel, or was there any scale? if so, its HREW. If has NO scale, its most likely CREW.

its actually pretty easy to tell. Is there any scale at all on the steel, or was there any scale? if so, its HREW. If has NO scale, its most likely CREW.

Clean shiny tube with a HAZ, nice stuff.

Now you play with steel a lot, how about posting up some common features/ markings so we can have a better idea what we're dealing with? Some stuff is easy like standard sch40 vs dom, hrew etc but apparently it's not ALL that easy to id.

I have no cage in my ZJ, but I am careful (I think) to not get in over my head or the ZJ's.

BUT, with all this discussion the last few days, a lot of VERY GOOD POINTS have been made for a cage, helmet and 5 point harness, so I am thinking of future mods not only to the ZJ but to my driving and passenger apparel.

Clean shiny tube with a HAZ, nice stuff.

Now you play with steel a lot, how about posting up some common features/ markings so we can have a better idea what we're dealing with? Some stuff is easy like standard sch40 vs dom, hrew etc but apparently it's not ALL that easy to id.

its very hard to tell sometimes. and you should read the marking.
a couple that are easy to tell I will list. for example i could not tell you the difference between 1020 or 1026, or 1018 unless its stamped on the tube.

HREW tube. will have a nominal OD, 1", 1.5", 2" and will have scale on it.
CREW tube will have a nominal OD 1" 1.5" 2" and NO scale (both hrew and crew will have a visible internal seam)

DOM (term used loosly) will have no visible seam (but if you look hard enough you can see where it was) It will look almost identical to CREW other than crew has a seam.

Pipe will have odd dimentions. i.e. a 2" schedule 40 pipe will have an ID of 2.05 (approx) and an OD of 2.4 or so. This can be with or without seams.

"4340 chromoly" will be a more "dull" in color than most tubing, this is because of the coctail used i making it (molybdenum disulfide is what makes it "tough" and is gray - black in color) you also will not see any seams in this.

and for "seamless tubing" you'll know when you buy this because your now broke with your savings acount drained and no gas money to go wheeling.

Ok, I got that but what do you mean by scale? A rough finish like cheap chinese sch40 or??

You ever get a piece of steel that has stuff that wants to flake off the outside? you'll see it on most steel plate, and you have to grind or chip it off before you can weld it.

thats "scale"

Huh... guess thats why steel is so spendy around here. I have had to deal with flashing from cutting but otherwise all the steel is nice and clean.

On a related cage/safety note. Secure your stuff! Toolboxes/tools, jacks, coke cans, speaker boxes, hand grenades, shovel, spare tire, fire ext..... On a bad roll those "yard sale" items can kill you...

What's it built out of??? 1 3/4 dom

Did you build it???yes

Do you trust it???So far it's held up well sitting in the garage collecting dust. IF it ever gets wheeled I trust it

Whats it built of??? TOOOOB... Ask All Pro, I think 1.5" .120 Wall DOM

Did I build it?? I welded it together.. Came pre-bent

Do You trust it?? For what its worth yes, next year will rip it out and have a pro built one..

I don't have a cage, I have chassis. It's 1 3/4 pipe (yes, I know pipe in measured ID....STFU) It's bent and dented but the chassis is generally "square" and true still. I'll do 2" DOM next time.......2" for that healthy look:cool:and DOM cause I heard on the internet:Dit's the BEST.

My Yota project will have an exo cage (A and C pillars only) tied into the frame with proper build qualities and safety in mind.

I wear a 5-point harness and helmet......you should too.:squirrel:

What's it built out of??? Guessing it's pipe??

Did you build it??? No. Old man bought it from TC's in the early 80's when he started on the jeep. I've added a windshield bar, spreaders in the main hoop and door bars. Also tied the front into the nerfs/frame.

Do you trust it??? If it fails, I wouldn't have walked away regardless of the cage.

yes, I have a cage. It's made out of 1.5" .120 DOM. Not sure what grade of DOM but it was purchased from S&N so I trust their judgement on what grade. Was built by Crashfab and yes I trust it.

Got a cage.

Came with the Jeep project.

Don't know who built it, or what it is made of.

I tied it to the frame in a round about way.

I don't fully trust it.

Anyone know how to tell what it is made of????????:scratchhead:

Got a cage.

Came with the Jeep project.

Don't know who built it, or what it is made of.

I tied it to the frame in a round about way.

I don't fully trust it.

Anyone know how to tell what it is made of????????:scratchhead:

couldnt tell 100% but take some measurments, and if show a cross section and we could tell you pretty close.:beer: