• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge CTD Questions... *Newbie Alert*

84Toyota4x4

So, my girlfriends Dad has a 1998 1500 SLT quad cab that he bought brand new. This is the truck I use to haul stuff around, they use to get hay and grain for the horses, and Ive towed a car trailer with it a few times. It does it, just not very happily IMO.

Anyway, they're looking at getting a horse trailer, and I suggested that for the weight of multiple horses (two at the most), hay, tack, etc that they should seriously look into a Diesel and or at least a 3/4 ton. Her Dad doesn't really have a problem with it, so Ive been looking around for a similar truck, but in a diesel. Thus we come across my questions.

Im wondering if the Diesel transmissions die like the gas Dodges are known for (her Dads already went through one). Id prefer a manual, but her Dad wants the auto. If the autos dont have that problem, do they have any common problems? Easy fixes? Good preventative maintenance upgrade ideas?

Also, Ive read about the KDP, and the 5th nut (obviously wouldnt apply to the auto), but are there any other major problems to watch out for and try and find a truck that has had them taken care of already?

Id like to find something for them thats tuned up just a little (simply for the supposed fuel economy increases), but they dont need anything crazy obviously. What would be some basic things to look for in a mildly tuned up truck? Something with intake, exhaust, fuel, what? Which one or combination would give you the best economy/power without going nuts?

Im basically trying to find a 2nd gen 2500 12 Valve Diesel Auto 4x4 Quad Cab Short Box. Is this even a possible configuration? If so, what years should I be looking for?

So, theres my newbie CTD post. Maybe it would be nice if there was a Dodge CTD FAQ somewhere. I looked around NWBombers a little, but didnt see anything. Ive been Google searching, but knowing who and where to buy and learn from is just like anything else, you gotta get into the sport to know that you buy lifts from Marlin, not Superlift - if that makes any sense. Attempt to be nice please :awesomework:

~T.J.

Last edited:
yes you can get a truck like that. I'll fill in the other blanks tomorrow morning cause I HATE typing on this dang laptop..

Im basically trying to find a 2nd gen 2500 12 Valve Diesel Auto 4x4 Quad Cab Short Box. Is this even a possible configuration? If so, what years should I be looking for?

That configuratiion was made for a few months early in the 1998 model year. They are highly sought after and the prices usually reflect it. They are also reported to have a few issues unique to that year as the 12 valve was more or less just along for the ride until the 24 valve motors were ready.

I haven't had any issues with mine.. hell mines held together better then it should even when we were trying to tear it apart.. There is a 98 12 valve quad cab 4x4 shorty auto by me that I tried to get Troy to buy a year or so ago. I really wanted it. And the price was 16 obo back then, I don't know if he sold it or just decided to keep it.

And yea, the autos still suck in stock form, you can gimp em along for a while, but towing really gets to em quick. And it shouldn't matter whether it has some slight mods. They're not all that much to modify on the cheap no matter what ya get. If you made it out to the dyno event tomorrow you'd learn more then you want to about these trucks.

Should've come out to the Power Shop this last weekend. All kinds of configurations and power combo's.

I agree with Jeff's opinions/facts. For further info check out www.tdr1.com. It's a pay site, free to lurk. There are other free diesel websites. I like the TDR. Because of the minimal fee it eliminates most of the crying. The TDR is about tech.

The 24v's CTD's aren't bad. Need to upgrade the lift pump. The 6spd NV5600 doesn't have the 5th gear nut issue. First available in 99' with the smaller NV4500 input shaft. The 00' input shaft is bigger. Among the 12v's the 96-98' with manual tranny have more power. Strongly suggest the KDP, DSS, gauges and Governor Spring Kit (GSK).

Whats the DSS? What does the GSK govern?

~T.J.

The DSS is a support bracket for the steering gear box. Supposedly an acronym for Darin's Steering System or Dodge Steering System. Heard it both ways.

GSK = Governor Spring Kit. This allows the P7100 injection pump on the 2nd Gen 12v motors to continue fueling to a higher RPM. Stock they fall off around 2200-2500RPM and the GSK raises it from there. The 3,000RPM GSK is probably the most popular and appropriate. Gives you a wider working RPM range and makes the truck a bit more driveable.

I have the 3k GSK. Stock form it would run to 2500 and fall on it's face.. Now it'll run to 3600. The 4k kit will get you to about 4800, and they also have a 5k kit.