• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge cummins fan clutch

Mills5054 said:
I just replaced my compressor and then the clutch fan. Now it seems like it blows colder on the passenger side than the driver side but still not very cold. What could be causing this? That electric fan looks like a great idea!

bad80cj said:
Actuator motor, blendoor, or control head

bad80cj is right. It is a very, very common problem on the dual-zone units. Search around on cumminsforum.com. There's probably 40,000 threads about it. I don't know much more because I don't have dual-zone. But there were so many threads about that they kept turning up in my searches about the a/c clutch.

Its possible I am misunderstanding it. It was a VERY common topic. I didn't read any of the threads. I feel strongly that it would be worth typing a few words into the cumminsforum.com search box. I'm not going to do it for you ... :flipoff1:

Oh I understand that completely. Have been on that forum and seen different ideas. He said it was common on the dual zones so I was just pointing out that I did not have dual zones. Was not asking you to do my research. I do appreciate you considering it though.

Mills5054 said:
Oh I understand that completely. Have been on that forum and seen different ideas. He said it was common on the dual zones so I was just pointing out that I did not have dual zones. Was not asking you to do my research. I do appreciate you considering it though.

Haha, no worries. I'm just giving ya a hard time. :)

Mills5054 said:
I just replaced my compressor and then the clutch fan. Now it seems like it blows colder on the passenger side than the driver side but still not very cold. What could be causing this? That electric fan looks like a great idea!

Might be low on freon.

The general design of the vents the passenger side does get 75% of the air flow. When your blend door breaks and you have the dash ripped out you can see how the airflows.

Eddyj said:
The general design of the vents the passenger side does get 75% of the air flow. When you blend door breaks and you have the dash ripped out you can see how the airflows.

I just replaced the ac compressor, the blend door, motor and condenser. Along with a new dash...**** is cold...worth the fix imo

I've seen a guy do dual 10" fans have good results. I don't know why one would go smaller on a single fan, I don't think the price differences are that much to justify it. Towing back and forth to HPO last weekend my a/c seemed to go a little warm on the highway while I was towing and then at some points my wife got a few splashes of cold water on her feet in the passenger seat. It didn't get warm, just warmer, still blew cold. Those splashes typically mean clogged drain line but the a/c was POURING water out the bottom like it normally would so I need to check into it. But if there is water collecting / freezing at the evaporator core it could cause the a/c to be warmer than it would normally be. It would also explain why it takes a while to go warm since the water would take time to collect. So it appears my a/c saga continues. But the issue of having no a/c at all right after startup is still a thing of the past.

BTW, one other thing I've learned about the a/c on these trucks is that is was a transition period from R12 to R134a. After the transition they discovered that evaporator cores that used the old fin spacing tended to grow mold and cause a musky scent in the cab when they were used with the new freon. There was a TSB about it that contained an updated part number for the evap core. The new version has more space between the fins and does not grow mold as a result. So if you get the musky odor that's what's going on.

patooyee said:
I've seen a guy do dual 10" fans have good results. I don't know why one would go smaller on a single fan, I don't think the price differences are that much to justify it. Towing back and forth to HPO last weekend my a/c seemed to go a little warm on the highway while I was towing and then at some points my wife got a few splashes of cold water on her feet in the passenger seat. It didn't get warm, just warmer, still blew cold. Those splashes typically mean clogged drain line but the a/c was POURING water out the bottom like it normally would so I need to check into it. But if there is water collecting / freezing at the evaporator core it could cause the a/c to be warmer than it would normally be. It would also explain why it takes a while to go warm since the water would take time to collect. So it appears my a/c saga continues. But the issue of having no a/c at all right after startup is still a thing of the past.

BTW, one other thing I've learned about the a/c on these trucks is that is was a transition period from R12 to R134a. After the transition they discovered that evaporator cores that used the old fin spacing tended to grow mold and cause a musky scent in the cab when they were used with the new freon. There was a TSB about it that contained an updated part number for the evap core. The new version has more space between the fins and does not grow mold as a result. So if you get the musky odor that's what's going on.
Sounds like your evap is freezing up. Possibly from a low charge. Do you run the A/C on recirculation or do you draw fresh air?

jta said:
Sounds like your evap is freezing up. Possibly from a low charge. Do you run the A/C on recirculation or do you draw fresh air?

Possibly, that's why I'm going to hook up my gauges tomorrow. I'm a mix of recirc and fresh at the moment since my recirc door broke off and I removed it. (Also an extremely common problem with these trucks!) I have a new door that I just haven't had time to install yet.

patooyee said:
Possibly, that's why I'm going to hook up my gauges tomorrow. I'm a mix of recirc and fresh at the moment since my recirc door broke off and I removed it. (Also an extremely common problem with these trucks!) I have a new door that I just haven't had time to install yet.
What year is the truck?

Running fresh air puts a lot more load on the A/C system because it brings so much humidity inside.

Mine is always warmer on the passenger side. I'm pretty sure the foam insulation on the pass side has broken down. One day I'll open it up and fix it, but that really seems like a pita.

Any reason you mounted it to the passenger side and didn't center mount the fan? Also which relay did you go with?

Eddyj said:
Any reason you mounted it to the passenger side and didn't center mount the fan? Also which relay did you go with?

It hit the hood latch if it was centered. I used a standard 5-pin relay with connector from Napa. I tried Autozone, Advanced, and O'Reilly's and none of them had the pigtail / connector for a 5-pin relay, which i found amazing.

I checked my freon today and I was low. I added a good bit, as I was doing so my engine fan sped up and made the roaring noise everyone has mentioned in the past. I had never heard it do that before, even when towing heavy loads for long periods. I disconnected my electric fan for now to see if the no cold air when first started issue is gone without it. The truck never cooled down enough today to where I would normally have the issue though so I'm going to drive it some over the next few days to see for sure.