• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge cummins tranny ?

Rockwells607

I have an old 12v cummins with a 5 speed, love it to death but the brakes suck and she's gettin rusty and needs a lot of work , long story short im thinkin of buying a newer truck , I'm lookin and at a nice 2004 quad cab my buddy has , it has never towed much and stored inside for the winter , it is automatic however with 130k on it, I've heard horror stories about autos in dodges , what's the deal with em!? My brother has an 03' with a manual 6 speed and tbat just **** the bed too so :dunno: and before someone says it, I'm not buying a duramax!

Rockwells607 said:
I have an old 12v cummins with a 5 speed, love it to death but the brakes suck and she's gettin rusty and needs a lot of work , long story short im thinkin of buying a newer truck , I'm lookin and at a nice 2004 quad cab my buddy has , it has never towed much and stored inside for the winter , it is automatic however with 130k on it, I've heard horror stories about autos in dodges , what's the deal with em!? My brother has an 03' with a manual 6 speed and tbat just **** the bed too so :dunno: and before someone says it, I'm not buying a duramax!

If you sold on the Dodge, just buy a truck worth the money that you know that at some point you will have to put around 2-3K in a trans. Basically, just buy the truck and go ahead and set aside the money or just make your self prepared for it. Once you do the trans right you won't have any issues (or from what I have seen you won't)

Yes his 2003 6 speed **** the bed, he hasn't torn into it yet but it was sitting at the fuel pump idling in neutral and it jumped into gear and lunged ahead stalling the truck , he finished fueling up and got in it leave and there's no neutral now, he had to start it in 4th gear and limp it home , acts like none of the gears or clutch is even there

The NV5600s basically have a "dam" that blocks oil from getting to the rear bearing if the trans isn't completely full. I just had one **** the bed a couple months ago. Left the house for a 3 hour road trip thinking everything was fine, the about 45 mins in I was sliding to a stop on the side of the highway. A replacement was going to be around $4000 so iI sold the truck as is. I've never had a newer auto but the one behind an old 12 valve I had never slipped. The convertor would randomly unlock going down the highway but besides that it held together just fine.

My 95' 12 valve has a 5 speed and has never had an issue its an awsome old truck it's just 20 years old and nickle and diming me, the brakes suck I keep warpin rotors and replacing front end parts like tie Rods all the time

Price for the old junker? those 12 valves are old obsolete piles of crap and nobody wants them, and the 5 speeds are junk too... I'll do you a favor and just come get it for scrap price ;D

put a good torque convert and valve body in it when you rebuilt it if you are not racing or truck pulling it that is all you need to do to it

I have 3 03 3500 all autos. They pull 50% of the time. All 3 have had trans replaced. $2700 at Aamco 3 year warranty.i had them put in Billet TC, servos from a 05, upgraded valve body. thumb.gif now they are awesome trucks I would get in any of them and drive cross county.

If I do get the newer truck I may hold onto the 12 valve and junk the cab on it and put our 43wc power wagon cab on my 95 chassis

Would be interested to hear what ends up being wrong with your buddy's trans. Starving the 6th gear bearing for oil is a very widely known issue. Extra qt solves it though. You will need to upgrade the auto but how much depends on if you leave the 5.9 stock or not.

Rockwells607 said:
If I do get the newer truck I may hold onto the 12 valve and junk the cab on it and put our 43wc power wagon cab on my 95 chassis
This needs to happen ASAP!