• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge owners

Re: Re: Dodge owners

The-Boss said:
Well I looked at mine today and was surprised to see the clamps for (if I remember right) 3, 4 and 5 were not even bolted down. Just laying there where I could spin them around the line by hand. I assume this was deliberate from the previous owner. Is unbolting the clamps a common thing to eliminate the problem?
Not sure that's the case. In my simple mind once the clamp let's go the line is able to vibrate with the engine. On my truck that's what happened. I've checked the bolts at every oil change. When the line that failed got pulled off I put a wrench and pliers to see it the bolt worked loose. The bolt was still tight but the part of plastic where the line goes through was loose. Maybe unbolting them works but I don't see how.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mdo817 said:
No, vibrations after clamps fail crack the lines. Here's the upgraded Cummins #4 line part number.
5dc737bc3343b4943be134b4dd4486cc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing. Hopefully other see the risk and correct it before they end up like Jessie's truck. I know mine wasn't far from flames.

Yeah it would really depend on how the line vibrates. Right now those unbolted on mine have no pressure at the clamp, so it wouldn't wear through like it could bolted and loosely clamped. However I'm sure the clamps are there to stop excessive vibration which could lead to a failure near the connections. Figured I would ask because there are lots of things out there that we're meant to prevent a problem that doesn't exist in an application and just end up being the cause of an unintended one. I assume folks in the know would recommend that I buy a updated #4 line and put bolts back in the others?

I R diesel dum...

If replacing the line as preventative maintenance, do you have to bleed the system or any other special procedures? Or just screw it in an go? Basic tools?

I almost did the same thing with my 7.3. There is a fuel rail that goes to the back of the head, it can vibrate and create a hole over time. I was doing 80 on the interstate and putting out a james bond style smokescreen. Popped the hood and fuel was spraying everywhere. I am lucky I didn't burn it to the ground. Limped it into the ditch, got parts, and fixed it right there.

nvrenuf said:
I R diesel dum...

If replacing the line as preventative maintenance, do you have to bleed the system or any other special procedures? Or just screw it in an go? Basic tools?
Replace line then cycle key a few times.

AllGoNoShow said:
I almost did the same thing with my 7.3. There is a fuel rail that goes to the back of the head, it can vibrate and create a hole over time. I was doing 80 on the interstate and putting out a james bond style smokescreen. Popped the hood and fuel was spraying everywhere. I am lucky I didn't burn it to the ground. Limped it into the ditch, got parts, and fixed it right there.
I couldn't see the smoke it was raining and dark. I bet the people behind me hated it.

Latest posts