• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge D60 Center Axle Disconnect

Rennurder

I have a 96 2500 HD V-10. Lately it has become quite shaky in the front. ( about a month ago almost caused huge wreck due to 60mph sudden death wobble which progressed to violent axle hop). I've replaced shocks and axle ujoints since then and still shaky but haven't had the death wobble. Yesterday, after pulling into my nieghborhood, I decided to put it in 4wd and there was a nasty grinding noise comin from up there. Its been about 4 months since the last time I put it in 4wd and everything was fine.

Have any of you fine NWW people had this same issue?? Have you replaced the Axle Disconnect bearing on your POS Dodge??? Was it a fairly simple process? (thinking about down time since it is my DD) Is this even the problem??? Should I just blow this pile up???

Oh yeah...... slightly pulling to the right also.

Any info greatly appreciated!!! :beer:

EDIT: Also replaced balljoints and trac bar.

Last edited:
I just replaced the oil seal and the bushing between the two passenger side axle shafts on my 98' 2500 diesel a couple weeks ago. I didnt have any noises, but the oil dribbling out the axletube made me tear into it. My inner shaft support bearing seemed perfect so I left it alone, but the bushing in between the two shafts was in tiny pieces. My only advice would be to buy the special seal installer tool if you are going to change the oil seals at, I tried every trick I knew, including making my own tool with all thread. I got mine from quad 4x4, not cheap but awesome quality and worked perfect the first time. Also included very good step by step instructions with pictures.

The disconnect is pretty simple really, just pay attention to the sliding collar orientation, if you put it in backwards the 4wd will not engage, ask me how I know.

I just replaced the oil seal and the bushing between the two passenger side axle shafts on my 98' 2500 diesel a couple weeks ago. I didnt have any noises, but the oil dribbling out the axletube made me tear into it. My inner shaft support bearing seemed perfect so I left it alone, but the bushing in between the two shafts was in tiny pieces. My only advice would be to buy the special seal installer tool if you are going to change the oil seals at, I tried every trick I knew, including making my own tool with all thread. I got mine from quad 4x4, not cheap but awesome quality and worked perfect the first time. Also included very good step by step instructions with pictures.

The disconnect is pretty simple really, just pay attention to the sliding collar orientation, if you put it in backwards the 4wd will not engage, ask me how I know.

Thank you for the info!!! Much appreciated!!:beer: