• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Tire Suggestions

Major work to the wheeler is done, now time to start upgrades to the tow rig. I have a 97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and I'm looking for suggestions for my new tires. No extra lift, just stock. I want something aggressive, but still able to handle my 4Runner on a trailer and the long bed full of camping junk. What would be the best tire, and what size tire would I be able to fit without any problems? Thanks.

285/75-16 fit mine just fine. Any taller and its a pain to load in tailgate and get in and out of cab. I went with the Dunlop mud rovers, no disappointments, but there are many choices in tires.

yeup 285/75/16's, you can run a bit bigger with a leveling kit up front though if you wanted to go any larger. My next tire will be the Cooper STT, heard good about them, price is good, but haven't run em myself yet. I did like the other coopers I have had on the truck though.

I just remembered you only have 7" wide wheels.. so bigger isn't much of an option.

Yep, 285's fit nicely without having to do any extra work. I had Goodyear MT/R's on mine and was pretty happy with them.

I REALLY like the way 35's look on my truck, but the power loss and mileage loss is a little much for many..

i wouldnt know the diffrence they were on it when i bought it, and they only had maybe 50 miles on them so probably not replacing them anytime soon lol

I'm very happy with the Denman Coyote

Didn't you end up with 36s on your dually? How did your mileage change? I've been curious since my little stockers and 4.10s suck balls at Michigan road speeds as far as mpgs (always driving at 2500 rpms) :mad:

Didn't you end up with 36s on your dually? How did your mileage change? I've been curious since my little stockers and 4.10s suck balls at Michigan road speeds as far as mpgs (always driving at 2500 rpms) :mad:

I did go with a Coyote that measures 36" on the truck. Had to put front spring spacer on and a wheel spacer on the rear.I also believe the front bumper helped with clearance.

Mileage?.....I don't know, I get depressed whenever I try to figure it out. Everyone has these trucks that claim 20+ MPG. I always seem to get 10 with my Dodge and 8 when I had a 7.3 Ford. I love the feel and sound of the turbo, so I will never get good mileage.

I do like being able to do 70mph and not be at redline:awesomework:

Whos got good prices on tires these days? I got a Les Schawb nearby but i've been hearing bad things about them...

w/ 3.55 gears.....like others have said....I wouldn't go much bigger than a 33"....

I run the odd-ball 295/75-16 BFG AT....I've had REALLY good luck w/ this tire, its got a pretty killer load rating, and has always been good to me....long trips loaded fairly heavy and such.
but I wouldn't go bigger for fear of completly making 6th gear useless when towing. Already, in 6th I've got to be about 65mph before I'm in 6th. As it works out, its really about perfect, but any more tire and it'd get frustrating.

--B

ya discount tires, Les Scwab sucks... but if you toss the coil spacer "leveling kit" up front (its around 70 bucks) you can find tires all the time on craigslist that come off the H2's there BFG AT's 215 on a 17, an amazing tire IMO. The H2 lug pattern works too but you have to have the centers opened up to fit over the dodge hubs... or just buy some used newer dodge 17's like I did.

Lots of people are running Toyo M/T.

I have the coopers on a jeep and they are nice and have heard good things on trucks about them. Apparently they are the shiznit up in Fairbanks, AK. I know they work well on strait ice. Been driving around all winter up there on em.

Another good tire that is mildly aggresive are the Goodyear Workhorses. My dad has those on a CTD and they work well. They are more agressive than an AT but not as agressive as a MT. Kinda inbetween.

w/ 3.55 gears.....like others have said....I wouldn't go much bigger than a 33"....

I run the odd-ball 295/75-16 BFG AT....I've had REALLY good luck w/ this tire, its got a pretty killer load rating, and has always been good to me....long trips loaded fairly heavy and such.
but I wouldn't go bigger for fear of completly making 6th gear useless when towing. Already, in 6th I've got to be about 65mph before I'm in 6th. As it works out, its really about perfect, but any more tire and it'd get frustrating.

--B

Is your truck stock? I had 35's on mine and it would tow 15000lbs over White Pass over the speed limit. I really liked the 3.50 and 235/85/16 for power towing, but the 35's worked really good on my old 12 valve.:redneck:

My current truck had 4:10's and 215's. If the truck was stock it pulled better but turned up the pump and the 3.50's felt needed so I could tow at freeway speeds, so they got switched to 3.50's.:redneck:

I run the BFG MudsKM LT285/75R16; I've got 10K on them so far, and are wearing nicely...still 85% plus!!!(even for a F250HD PSD); I realize they are only load range D, but I don't tow anything really heavy...(just look at my avatar!!!:haha: )

Is your truck stock? I had 35's on mine and it would tow 15000lbs over White Pass over the speed limit. I really liked the 3.50 and 235/85/16 for power towing, but the 35's worked really good on my old 12 valve.:redneck:

My current truck had 4:10's and 215's. If the truck was stock it pulled better but turned up the pump and the 3.50's felt needed so I could tow at freeway speeds, so they got switched to 3.50's.:redneck:

after towing with a truck set up the same way.. I call BS... Either that or you were doing 100+ when you hit the base.. :flipoff:

12 valves run too hot without a decent turbo (or two) on there..

after towing with a truck set up the same way.. I call BS... Either that or you were doing 100+ when you hit the base.. :flipoff:

12 valves run too hot without a decent turbo (or two) on there..

1100* and it krept up to 1200* a bout the last 5 miles............If a 12 valve isn't over fueled its alot easier to control egts.:; Also smaller turbo's stay spooled easier in the low rpms, it was chugging away at 1600-1700rpms.....:awesomework: