• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Tire Suggestions

Is your truck stock? I had 35's on mine and it would tow 15000lbs over White Pass over the speed limit. I really liked the 3.50 and 235/85/16 for power towing, but the 35's worked really good on my old 12 valve.:redneck:

My current truck had 4:10's and 215's. If the truck was stock it pulled better but turned up the pump and the 3.50's felt needed so I could tow at freeway speeds, so they got switched to 3.50's.:redneck:

My truck is nothing wild by any means...

but....my point was simply about gearing and the speed limit.....my truck tows awsome at about 85mph in 6th......but doing 55 fawking mph through the Republic of Kalifornia puts me somewhere around 1400rpm's in 6th.....

I really like where I'm at......as I can lope along at 60-65mph around 1700, dump to 5th and pull most any hill at teh same speed at around 2400.....
but put much of a bigger tire on it, and its not going to ever be happy towing in 6th

1100* and it krept up to 1200* a bout the last 5 miles............If a 12 valve isn't over fueled its alot easier to control egts.:; Also smaller turbo's stay spooled easier in the low rpms, it was chugging away at 1600-1700rpms.....:awesomework:

I've had everything from a 5 plate with stock injectors to large Delivery valves, large injectors and a large turbo and everything in-between. The last time I was able to romp on it without the EGT's hauling ass over 1300 was with a 10 plate, exhaust, AFE and NO GSK. The GSK screwed me more then anything, but it's a must.

My truck is nothing wild by any means...

but....my point was simply about gearing and the speed limit.....my truck tows awsome at about 85mph in 6th......but doing 55 fawking mph through the Republic of Kalifornia puts me somewhere around 1400rpm's in 6th.....

I really like where I'm at......as I can lope along at 60-65mph around 1700, dump to 5th and pull most any hill at teh same speed at around 2400.....
but put much of a bigger tire on it, and its not going to ever be happy towing in 6th

The only place I found my 410's better was on slow winding country roads towing heavy loads, for freeway I hated 410's it took 2400 rpms in OD to run 64mph. If you have an auto then 4:10 would prob work fine because your overdrive is a taller gear than the manual trans. Too much fuel just makes it harder to tow with, its about getting the happy meduim of turbo and fuel. The problem is most of us like more power than that, lol :beer:

Is your truck stock? I had 35's on mine and it would tow 15000lbs over White Pass over the speed limit. I really liked the 3.50 and 235/85/16 for power towing, but the 35's worked really good on my old 12 valve.:redneck:

There is no way that your 12 valve was stock. Unless the speed limit over White Pass is 35mph. :redneck:

I am happy with the 4.10s and 35s on my basically stock '97 12 valve.

There is no way that your 12 valve was stock. Unless the speed limit over White Pass is 35mph. :redneck:

I am happy with the 4.10s and 35s on my basically stock '97 12 valve.

I was askin if his truck was stock, no mine wasn't stock doing that good a job, it had just a #4 fuel plate in a 175 pump. That thing was the easiest to tow with truck I have ever owned, You didn't have to babysit egts and the turbo would light at 1200 rpms. Thats the way 12 valves were made to run. 1700 rpms all day long! :awesomework:

and thats just it......its all about getting the gearing right where you want it, and not having to drive around it.....and tire size plays directly into gearing.

I love what I've got.....but any higher gearing (higher gears, or taller tires) and I'd have to start driving around it...
and I certainly wouldn't want 4.10's w/ the tires I've got.....that would be torture.
for what I do.....it seems these "tall" 33's w/ 3.50's work perfect....
3.73 and 35's would put me in about the same spot...
or 4.10's and 37's or so.....
its all about what works for your truck and what you do w/ it....
my truck loves to cruise right around 1700-1800, and loves to climb hills around 2200-2300, which w/ my gearing and tire combo, works out perfectly in 5th and 6th gear...

Latest posts