• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dog advice neede

cash talks

So I've got a 12 year old shih-tzu. Shes been going blind for several years and now shes completely blind. Shes got chronic ear issues that makes her itch and it stinks horribly. The last couple months she all of a sudden started running into the walls, etc. I feel really bad for her. Also, just got divorced. The dog was totally hers. She kept most things that had any ties to her but the dog. Part of it is due to the fact she cant have pets, but I also know her niece is there alot with her dog. I tried being the adult and talk to her about it, but she just gave me a guilt trip and said it cant be that bad. Shes been gone for 5 months so how would she know. I feel its my responsibility now. Several people tell me not to feel bad about putting her to sleep. Its been on my mind for weeks, but keep putting it off. I even called and talked to the vet last week for quite a while about it. They told me its mainly a quality of living thing. If it was Cancer or something I would have no problem with it, and remembering back there have several threads on here about dogs, so here I am.

She is twelve, she has had a good life. I would not have an issue with putting her down. I would tell the ex what my plans were, so if she wanted to claim it, she could.

It's a hard thing to do....but like the doc said....It's about the quality of life. The dog is probably miserable in its current state. It'd nearly kill me to think about putting my lab down....But sometimes it's best no matter how we feel about it.

Been there...it sucks. Best of luck to you.

John Galbreath Jr. said:
She is twelve, she has had a good life. I would not have an issue with putting her down. I would tell the ex what my plans were, so if she wanted to claim it, she could.

If she can't see and is irritated by her ears and there is nothing the Vet can do to make her comfortable, help her out and put her to sleep.I know how you feel I had to put my 15 year Husky to sleep a few years ago and it tore me up for a while.

Draco said:
It's a hard thing to do....but like the doc said....It's about the quality of life. The dog is probably miserable in its current state. It'd nearly kill me to think about putting my lab down....But sometimes it's best no matter how we feel about it.

Been there...it sucks. Best of luck to you.

X2

I pretty much have the same exact sentiments about it as Draco. I love my lab and would hate to be in that position - but if he were suffering from some ailment that negatively affected his life and was incurable, I'd definitely consider putting him down.

Had to put a dog down once due to cancer... it sucks.

I agree with everyone else on here. I had to put down two dogs in six months time due to their age (15 and 13 years old) and one (3 years old) due to other ailments. While it killed me to have to put them down, I knew that their quality of living was no longer there and it was time. Go ahead and do the right thing with this dog and get you a replacement dog when you are ready for it.

Yeah, tell the ex you are planning to put her to sleep and take her to the vet. It's tough, I have done it a couple times. Hope you ex has enough spine to show up as well, if not that's some cold ****

Feel the same as everyone else. had to put my dog down a couple years ago and its very tough but it was the right thing to do. Go with your gut!!

I am about to have to put down my Chow mix, I think he's 17 :dunno: Same kinda deal, running into stuff, can't walk real good, going bald in spots. I hate it for him. :'(

Inform your ex wife that she will be paying the bill if you have to put the dog down.

Bones said:
Yeah, tell the ex you are planning to put her to sleep and take her to the vet. It's tough, I have done it a couple times. Hope you ex has enough spine to show up as well, if not that's some cold ****

Agreed. If she doesn't show, that's ICE cold.

Same situation here. 6 years ago, ex left me with her 2y/o lab/retriever mix. Last summmer I was sooo close to putting a bullet in him. He got cancer AND heart worms and had so much fluid on his abdomen he could hardly breathe. Vet drained it twice and gave him a month to live. I was just about to shoot him, but kept putting it off because it was too damned hot to dig a hole for him. Damnedest thing, now you can't even tell. He got all his weight back, runs around, no fluid... Crazy ****, but yours sounds pretty bad off. Quality of life man...