• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Domestic Violence III

TDW

Another dreaded tube buggy!

James (aka jimboy here on NWW) sold his tube car a few months ago and the time has come for Domestic Violence III to begin. He has a little one due in a few weeks so this thread may move a little slower than the last as fab time will be between diaper duty and during nap time.

Build thread for the last car: www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33603

The drivetrain is similar to the last car, the main changes will be to the chassis.

Specs:

Motor: 5.3 w/LS1 intake; Kevko oil pan
Transmission: TH350
Transfercase: Atlas II 3.8
Axles: front and rear steer Spidertrax F/R 9" housings, knuckles and shafts; Mega Hi-9 third members, 5.40 ratio
Tire/Wheel: 39" Krawlers/17x8 Trailready HD Series beadlocks www.trailready.com/wheels_HD.html
Shocks: King 2.5
Driveshafts: Driveline Tech www.drivelinetech.com
Body: Twisted Customs Cadillac CTS hood www.twistedcustoms.biz

Chassis will be 48.5" wide, 18" belly, 104" wheelbase.

Last edited:
Where it all begins.

dviii021.jpg

Rear axle.

dviii022.jpg

Beginning of the main rails/belly.

dviii023.jpg

Bottom rails in place.

dviii027.jpg

Mocking up the seat location.

dviii036.jpg

Front rail work.

dviii040.jpg

Rails bent and in place. High front rails for steering clearance.

dviii042.jpg

Checking hood location and clearances.

dviii053.jpg

Radiator and winch in their general location.

dviii064.jpg

The hood will allow the winch to be concealed for a clean look to the front end.

dviii061.jpg

Tires rolled up. Chassis is sitting at about where full bump will be. He generally runs around 2" uptravel on the shocks.

dviii070.jpg

dviii071.jpg

dviii072.jpg

cant wait too see what james turns out this time
always sick work
his old car got put to the canada test this last weekend

I dont really know if my mind can wrap around the concept of a better rig them DVII but I guess I am going to have to just sit down, watch, and learn. Please dont post anymore pics... all it will make me want to do is try and rebuild mine... then I wont have a rig to drive. :beer:

Now for some tech... other then clearing the hood is there any other reason to lean the rad back so far? Will it cool ok? I know that Binders is leaning back kind of like this too.. Just asking cause I am unsure. :awesomework:

i fought heating problems with a angled radiator and it was no where close to that. Only going down dirt roads there was no air flow, at a crawl it was fine. I tilted mine up 2" and it made night and day difference? but yet people run them in the rear of there rigs too? :cool:

I'm going to start saving my money now and maybe in a year or two when this one is for sale I can buy it.:D

i fought heating problems with a angled radiator and it was no where close to that. Only going down dirt roads there was no air flow, at a crawl it was fine. I tilted mine up 2" and it made night and day difference? but yet people run them in the rear of there rigs too? :cool:

I don't think he will have any heating problems. We all run a surge tank with our cooling system witch is higher than the radiator so the radiator is always full and the coolant fluctuates in the surge tank.

James looking good buddy wish I lived closer so I could stop by every week and bug you to see the progress:D

I don't think he will have any heating problems. We all run a surge tank with our cooling system witch is higher than the radiator so the radiator is always full and the coolant fluctuates in the surge tank.

:D
curious to what that has to do with air flow? just wondering?

curious to what that has to do with air flow? just wondering?
Well if air flow was your problem then a surge tank wouldn't help you. But for us running a surge tank helps keep the radiator full at all times, my car has the radiator tilted pretty far back not as far back as James but I have never had a problem with heat or air flow. Was your radiator full all the time hot or cold?

I'm in on this thread!!!!Glad the build is under way!!!! Let us know when you become a daddy james...:awesomework: Hope you and your better half are well!!!!:awesomework::awesomework:

Hey has any body ever asked james how much money he would need for a chassis???:eeek:

Last edited:
In the don run he likes building them just as much as driving. He is just the rare type that is really good at both.

On the radiator subject. Hood height is a major factor. Lowering it just an inch makes a world of difference. I have mine tilted back pretty far and have never had engine cooling problems. By the time everything gets cramed under the hood u run out of space really quick.

Looks like a good start James. And Todd... fix ur junk.

What radiator?

Well if air flow was your problem then a surge tank wouldn't help you. But for us running a surge tank helps keep the radiator full at all times, my car has the radiator tilted pretty far back not as far back as James but I have never had a problem with heat or air flow. Was your radiator full all the time hot or cold?

Cool, :cool: Probly better discussed in a different thread. No heating issues anymore.

Cool build :awesomework: keep up the good work

really quick, if your having cooling problums look into dual pass radiators, there bad ass and kiss the cooling problums good buy. They just cost some good coin:awesomework:

Well I said it about a year ago, James will have a new rig before mine is done!

I started my car before DVII started! :rolleyes:

Keep the pics coming TDW :awesomework:

Latest posts