• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gen III Chevy engine block weight diffrence

Woodlee

I have been wanting to know the actual weight difference between the aluminum and steel Gen III engine blocks. All of the internals should be the same wight just no one could ever tell me the weight difference between the two blocks. So when I was over at Delk performance the other day checking a engine they are building for me I took the chance at weighing both of them.

The Aluminum Block is the new LS7 7.0L Block Weight= 104 lbs.

The Steel Block is a 6.0L GM Truck Engine Weight= 215 lbs.

Difference of = 111 lbs.

I weighed these myself on their nitrous filling station scales so I feel they are pretty accurate.

Very cool Thanks for sharing the info... Im always curious about engine weights just for comparison's sake. thumb.gif

So..........whatchu puttin the 7.0 in ????

No they are not the same. The 6.0 truck engine is the same as the ls2 except for the Aluminum and steel block. This is just the block the heads intake and a lot of other stuff is diffrent from the two. The ls2 is a 6.0 L just like the truck. The 7.0L is bigger bore but that was the only one I had to weigh. They will be very close though. The best comparison would be a ls2 block with a 6.0 truck block. I would guess that there won't be much difference between the 7.0 and the ls2 block.

If it clears anything up the 7.0 block is also known as the ls7 block.