• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double Beadlock Disassembly?

Donkeylips

Anyone have tips for pulling apart double bead lock wheels? They are a split wheel. I expect the bead to be a bitch to break. They are Hutchinsons.

Someone somewhere makes tire pliers but I am trying to avoid purchasing them since they are around $200.

Have you even unbolted them yet? lol
Just sayin.Usually with an item pinched between two outer pieces there is a little natural separation that happens. otherwise the Double beadlock does not work as awesome as it should.
Just sayin...

Send them to me and I'll make sure they're taken care of

You mean so they can sit in the shop until KOH 15? :flipoff: No thanks. I think I'll use them for the next year at least.

Have you even unbolted them yet? lol
Just sayin.Usually with an item pinched between two outer pieces there is a little natural separation that happens. otherwise the Double beadlock does not work as awesome as it should.
Just sayin...

Nope. I haven't unbolted them yet. The beads will need to broken. I am more than certain of that.

I am just saying that's an advantage to helping relieve the bead from the rim. Drain, unbolt, and get a persuader out. It's all about leverage.
cheers

Set the rim on a bucket, wood stump, or something to get it off the ground. Let the air out, take the nuts off, pull apart the two halves and stick something in between them to create a gap. Put your knee on the tire near the bead and start hitting the bead across from you with a dead blow until the outer bead is off. Flip the tire over and repeat.

I've dealt with hutchinson wheels before and they are a biotch to get the beads busted loose. I ended up setting the wheel on a bucket and beating the ever loving monkey balls out of the tires to get the beads off.

PB Blaster the beads and they will tap right off. Just make sure to clean it off prior to re-mounting them, as they will still be super slick.

I had good results doing this on 2 different sets of Staz rims.

I have owned my Hutchinsons for over three years now and have swapped over tires three times. The secret is patience, breaking down a set with tires mounted is not that bad if you just take your time and use the right tools. I personally bought a low budget tire removal tool set consisting of a three pieces total: a short wide flat spoon like tool (12" long with a 2" flat spoon head), next was a long about 24" bar with a brad breaker type 1" wide end and third the longest/largest bar probably 30" long (1" round bar with 2"+ wide flat prying base). This was found at a general tool store for under $30.

Remove all the wheel nuts and just start tugging on the the piece of the wheel that faces out when on the vehicle. I personally use a small mixture of dish soap with lots of warm water and spray liberally all over the inner bead (both inner and outer beads) surface. This is where having the patience to place one pry bar while adding a second at another part of the wheel to separate, then keep dong this patiently (for both the inner and outer beads) and less then 30 minutes later the tire will be off.

The backside tire bead is the harder to separate (lubricant is important) and using a 5 Gallon bucket helps too (place wheel on bucket and stand/push on tire).

I won't say the tires are easy to get off, but they aren't brutal either.

Just use a little lube if necessary while constantly moving your hands/tool back and forth while talking softly and before you know it you'll have the rubber off and the mess cleaned up in no time.:awesomework:

Last edited: