• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double Beadlock VS. Single Beadlock BATTLE!

What do you ride on? (multiple choice ok)

• Total voters

Boxxerace

This comes down to those with experience (aka: not I) with either single beadlock rims with a retaining ring on the outside or those who have bucked up and gone with a double beadlock setup.

Are any of you peeling off the inside of your tire on your single beadlock rims? Under what conditions does this occur for you (I'd guess, "Snow" and "Rocks"). You tell me.

Aside from limited manufacturers for double locks, why would someone go with a single beadlock rim these days?

What gives? I bow to your wisdom and experience.

Double beadlocks are a pain to mount, takes a few guys and a few prybars, haven't tried removing tires from double beadlocks but it can't be any easier than the install.

I have always run single beadlocks and still currently do. Running 15in beadlocks rims(W/Iroks/TSLs) I could run them super low(3-4psi all day) and never hear the inner bead burp air. Now running the 17s(Krawlers/Maxxis stickys) I can only run them down to 8-9psi or i will hear the inner bead burp air only in the rocks or down a steep descent while turning. The main problem with bias 17s is the sidewalls are very stiff, the 15s have alot of sidewall flex and hold the rim better at low psi. Running a single beadlock is good, but a dual is the better way to go. Downside is the spending the money part(someday I will), if you are willing to spend the money do it once do it right.

Last edited:
I'm runnin 35 creepys on a single beadlock. (15 inch wheel) Never had a problem.

Even running them in the snow at 1.5 psi.

Stauns, theres some vendors on pirate that can get a set of four to you pretty cheap. That what ill be running on my tires soon.

I have single bead locks and haven't ever had any issue swith any of the 3 sets I've had. I think double beadlock are a great idea and will eventually be much more common. One downside is that 15" wheels double beadlocks don't work on many rigs due to brake interference. I would get double beadlocks if I had that option when I ordered wheels.

Burping air out of the inside bead is more an issue of wheel, than tire. As an example, I've been on trips where nearly everyone ran BFG Krawlers. We had guys that were constantly losing air even though they were only aired down to 8PSI. Others weren't losing air at 4. It quickly became a joke of 'hey when are you going to ditch those POS X wheels'?. Vehicle weights weren't an issue because some of the lighter rigs had the burping problem. I've seen this at other events too and it doesn't just effect beadlocks.
Back in the day, a bunch of us (Tree Climber included) all ran 33" TSL's on 10" wheels(no beadlocks) on our CJ-5's. 6PSI was the common pressure. Some of the guys lost a bead every trip out, others never lost a bead.

Double beadlocks are cool:awesomework: Stauns....not so much.

I have only experience with single bead locks and they have always done the job for me. When I ordered stickys I did lean tward the maxxis because of the problems I had herd about the bfgs beads being loose, but before stickys I had Iroks on trail ready's and they worked great. Now I have maxxis on walkers and I couldnt be more happy:cool:

now that I think of it this is the only thing I have not changed on the new up grades:redneck:

Burping air out of the inside bead is more an issue of wheel, than tire
Respectively I will have to disagree with you on that statement for the most part. Some wheel were an issue back in the day, but with runnins 17s that have a very stiff sidewall and air burping will happen at very low psi. 15s for the most part have very flexibly sidewalls that are less prone to burping. It is damn near impossible to have very minimal sidewall flex and not burp air only at low psi. The Krawlers are very notorious for doing this, I hope my Maxxis do not but if they do DBLs will be the cure. This is what I have learned over the years as I have been there done that.:;

Respectively I will have to disagree with you on that statement for the most part. Some wheel were an issue back in the day, but with runnins 17s that have a very stiff sidewall and air burping will happen at very low psi. 15s for the most part have very flexibly sidewalls that are less prone to burping. It is damn near impossible to have very minimal sidewall flex and not burp air only at low psi. The Krawlers are very notorious for doing this, I hope my Maxxis do not but if they do DBLs will be the cure. This is what I have learned over the years as I have been there done that.:;

Everyone has different experiences.
I have 2 sets of 17" beadlocks (with Krawlers) now and I never get a burp. My normal trail PSI is 6. I've had numerous sets of 37" Krawlers and don't have any issues. I have seen numerous issues of Krawlers that burp but I'm convinced it's the wheels. As I mentioned, others on a run with different wheels and the same tires burped all day. Others were fine.
In December I went on a snow run with a friend that has 35" Krawlers on beadlocks. I was at 3 PSI with my 37's and he was around 8. He keep losing the inside bead. I had the same tires on my CJ with 10" welds that Trailready beadlocked. I never had an issue.

Good luck with the Maxxis. Except for being ungawdly heavy, they seem to work very well.:awesomework: