• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Double ended ram setup

Jeremy1

I am working on installing a double ended ram setup on a Dana 60. I am limited on space and only able to mount the cylinder about 5 degrees forward of my steering arms when the steering is straight. When the steering is turned to the stops the cylinder is about 8 degrees forward. Anyone have any experience with this? The small tubing is just a visual.
bea452ebdc72943e46c101cbde28b6bb.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Re:

tie rod ends ideally should be inline with ram stroke at full lock. Obviously it's not always attainable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: Re:

mcutler said:
tie rod ends ideally should be inline with ram stroke at full lock. Obviously it's not always attainable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I will have to look at that. The ram is currently centered and knuckle is at full lock.

Re: Re: Double ended ram setup

bjeep said:
Move the ram back. With it all the way one way. It needs to be straight.
I wish it was that easy. The truss was already welded on the axle and it has a differential cover that bolts to it and not enough room to remove the cover if ram is moved back any further.
How important is it that the cylinder be perfectly straight to knuckle?

TBItoy said:
I'd run it just like you got it. Those surplus center Rams are tough, a few degrees isn't going to phase it..
Ok thanks for the advice

Jeremy1 said:
I wish it was that easy. The truss was already welded on the axle and it has a differential cover that bolts to it and not enough room to remove the cover if ram is moved back any further.
How important is it that the cylinder be perfectly straight to knuckle?

You cant slide the ram and mount back and almost butt it up against the link mounts?

money_pit_yj said:
You cant slide the ram and mount back and almost butt it up against the link mounts?

That would be to easy. :dunno:

looks like if he slid the ram back, it would just make the tie rods angle down more. :dunno:

angle is angle no matter which plane it's in, so it probably wont matter either way

TBItoy said:
looks like if he slid the ram back, it would just make the tie rods angle down more. :dunno:

angle is angle no matter which plane it's in, so it probably wont matter either way

Which axis? What vertices? pythagorean theorem Is obviously at play here.

Re:

I should of taken a picture of the ram from the front. The mount on the ram was against the diff cover when it was installed. I am going to turn the ram so that the mounts run vertical and that will move it back about 3/8" of a inch. Thanks

Is the ram perfectly centered on the axle? It doesnt have to be if that helps you. Mine is offset to the passenger side in my artec ram mount.