• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dream House

Think about the windows you choose...
Make sure they have extended jambs (recess), that way blinds or plantation shutters can be inside mounted instead out on face of the trim...just a much cleaner look. Arched top windows look nice but will cost much more to cover (specialty). Large closets/plenty of storage.
Did I mention I own a closet shelving and blind business?? :dunno: *shameless plug! ;D

Also...make sure you build your garage couple feet deeper than most plans call for. Sucks trying to squeeze around the front of a full size pickup or SUV.

johneddie said:
Also...make sure you build your garage couple feet deeper than most plans call for. Sucks trying to squeeze around the front of a full size pickup or SUV.

I need to measure my garage. Love it. My wife's big ass crossover something or other on her side with a deep freeze in front of it and room to open her rear door with teh garage door shut, and my ccsb dmax can pull up to my big ass safe in front of it and still get the door shut and a kid can go behind to get around. DEEEP garage is badass.

blacksheep10 said:
I need to measure my garage. Love it. My wife's big ass crossover something or other on her side with a deep freeze in front of it and room to open her rear door with teh garage door shut, and my ccsb dmax can pull up to my big ass safe in front of it and still get the door shut and a kid can go behind to get around. DEEEP garage is badass.

We built our attached 2 garage 24x24. I can park a crew Cab 2500 shortbed in it and have room to get around it. I have seen a house with a 2 car garage built recently that isn't that size that is basically a one car garage. The husband has to park his vehicle outside.

I was fortunate that when we were in the drawing process someone with lots of knowledge gave me some great pointers.

Put extra 2x4's around windows for hanging blinds or curtains. Fill in between studs with 2x's wherever you plan on hanging a tv. That way you are searching for a stud and the tv goes exactly where you want it. Also do something similar over your range especially if your wife has plans for a fancy hood. If you plan on doing Christmas decorations on porch put a couple exterior outlets on light switches in the house that way you don't have to go out to turn off lights. Small details that make life easier is worth the money. Lots of these things you will not see or get with a "spec" house.

JohnG said:
Our washer and dryer is in the master closet. Works great for us. We dress and undress in the closet.

So in essence, you "come out of the closet" on a daily basis? Is that so you can watch re runs of Richard Simmons gayrobisize videos and Caitlyn plus 8? :flipoff1:

300 amp electrical service wired for whole house generator. I didn't have the funds for the automatic switch gear and propane generator so I had them put in a manual switch gear and a plug outside the house that I just hook my gas generator into. If the power goes out, I manually turn the breaker panel over to generator, roll mine outside, plug it in and I'm good to go.
Reason I went with 300 amp is so I can run a welder, compressor, etc. in my garage for now and and when I build another detached garage, i can piggyback a 100 amp service out to it.

Our house has a walk out basement and we built a 12x13' steel reinforced concrete safe room in the basement. We finished it out as a spare bedroom with a queen bed and bunk beds in it. If the weather is going to be bad, all 4 of us can sleep comfortably without having to get up in the middle of the night and run to the skeerdy hole.

If you have a dead space like under stair steps or half closet, frame in a dummy HVAC return air vent complete with louvers and filter. It is a great place to put a document safe to keep important documents, etc. A thief may go through your drawers, closets and under the mattress, but I doubt he would ever take an HVAC vent out to look behind it. :dblthumb:

Don't waste money on a Jacuzzi tub unless you will honestly use the jets. We still put in the large soaker style tub, but saved $2k by not getting one with jets.

Don't skimp on insulation or window quality. Also, insulate interior walls where you don't want sound transferring to/from the surrounding rooms. We did bedrooms, laundry room, and bathrooms. I think it cost us another $200 in insulation and makes it nice if you want to sleep late or keep the noise down coming from your :cougar: bedroom

FlatlandFSJ said:
a3e93f47ae8d423383e1747cd96317cb.jpg

thumb.gif
if I was single that would be the house

My wife and I build our "dream" home a couple years ago ourselves. A few things we did that I wouldn't take back spray foam insulation standing seam metal roof "also known as hidden fastener no screws to go bad" and put a porch all the way around to keep windows and doors out of the weather which also gives you a place to take shoes off and I own out of the rain and keeps from tracking things inside. The insulation is tits low cost electric and we live on a main highway and the only way you can tell when sirens go by is seeing the lights flashing. I wanted to do Hardy siding she talked me into brick which I am very glad we did the entire house is pretty well no maintenance.

My dream house is one that is paid for. That being said I have a big house with a big payment. Good features brick, lots of lighting and plugs, wide halls and doors. Spend good money on paint and flooring, cause that's what wears the most.

Cracksrubi said:
if I was single that would be the house

If I build that house, I will be single.

We've been hitting the ideas pretty hard. Gonna take a couple more weeks of looking and then take a break. We really want to have the house search narrowed down a year out. Then its on to finding a builder, permits, permission to tear down a hundred plus year old house. Thank God I am not in the historic district anymore. After all of that, finding a place to stay until demo and construction is done.

I told my wife 40% of what our actual budget can be. Everything always goes over and I want plenty of cushion for when **** goes south.

johneddie said:
Think about the windows you choose...
Make sure they have extended jambs (recess), that way blinds or plantation shutters can be inside mounted instead out on face of the trim...just a much cleaner look. Arched top windows look nice but will cost much more to cover (specialty).

Think about this: a window is the least insulated part of your home. sure a twin or triple looks good but i would go smallest allowed by egress code. And dont do transoms. Like stated they are hard to cover and can add a ton of cost to your windows. Look at the Jeld-Wen vinyl windows. Not the most expensive but not a builders grade window. Lots of good features and great warranty.

I love the Log Cabin homes! All the obvious key points have been made, and we could talk about shops/garages all day, so I will share two of my must haves for the living quarters (one of which I am going to implement before I have my dream house if I have my way)
1. Fireman pole (and yes fellas, you can put the safety cover over the hole and have a stripper pole as well) flashemifyougotem
Either have it drop from the master to a room below (preferably a man cave or rec room/home theater room) or have it drop from loft of shop to main floor. :woot:
2. I want to have a deck off of the master with unobstructed sky view, have extra wide double doors and put castors on my bed so I can roll it out and sleep under the stars thumb.gif
My GF says I need to grow up and act like an adult :dunno: