• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drill Doctor...

the drill doctor is an awesome tool, I don't have one to use anymore and typically it's the bigger bit that I am re sharpening..... So it's the old fashioned sharpening by hand for me, the drill doctor makes a nice edge every time, unlike myself it takes a do over occasionally on the small stuff:redneck:

You do need to be concerned with over heating the motor on them.I used ours most every day at work for months.Went to use it one day and some brain surgeon had smoked it with a 3/4 bit. Must have realy ramed it in there.

You do need to be concerned with over heating the motor on them.I used ours most every day at work for months.Went to use it one day and some brain surgeon had smoked it with a 3/4 bit. Must have realy ramed it in there.

A brain surgeon with a 3/4" bit? That must hurt.

My dad has the model that does up to 1/2" in his shop... it was a christmas present from the three of us (him, me, my brother) to all three of us... lol. I miss it, and I do believe the bigger model is on sale over at sears right now... me want.

Maybe an adventure for tomorrow.

I like and use the drill doctor I have but I can sharpen bits faster on a grinding wheel and one of these

27407501c.jpg

The advantage of the drill doctor is that it holds the bit in a jig so the cuts are consistant. The center is perfectly centered and the two sides are identical.......A must if you use bits for precision work.:awesomework:

I'm old school too.
When I was an apprentice, my "master" gave me a box with about 500 old bits and told me to have at it. He gave me some direction about drill pointing. I learned about chisel and split points, primary cutting lip and secondary heel clearence. Then learned about different included angles for different application and materials. He tought me how to grind a drill if I wanted it to cut .003 to .005 oversize. I even learned how to do bigger drills up to 6 inch diameter and hold sizes.
It was a pita to sit there and sharpen all those drill, but I learned.

One time he gave me a 123 block that was roughly .002 to .003 oversize in each direction and a small bastard file. Told me to file it true, square and parellel within .0002,,, I learned to to use a file.:D

Bored so I think I'm going to go through my drill bit drawer and start sharpening . :cool: