• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drill Doctor...

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
I bought the basic model Drill doctor offered a few years back. Have always promoted it and never had anything bad to say about it. I haven't bought a drill bit since. Well It's time for a product review.

Typically the average joe back yard mechanic will toss away their burnt up or broken drill bits. Well stop, save the broken bits for when you do get a Drill Doctor because you wont need to buy anymore for a long time.

Well today I decided to go through my drill bits drawer and start sharpening them again. I came across a 13/32nds drill bit that I snapped awhile ago. Probably drilling through steal. Most people would toss this guy in the trash, but I had faith in my Drill Doctor.
Before
2010-10-24205851.jpg

Took me about 5 minutes and I had this bit looking like new.

2010-10-24210527.jpg

I believe I pad $69.95 for the Drill Doctor when I bought it. This awesome tool has easily saved me that over the years.

Don't hesitate, don't be scared, just buy it. Take a few minutes to learn how to use it but will save you $$$ in the long run.

350.jpg

DRILL DOCTOR MODEL 350X
The DD350X is ideal for the home workshop. It provides the homeowner, weekend craftsman, or hobbyist with the sharpening power needed to restore dull bits and keep on working. The new DD350X adds simplicity, stability and accuracy.

On Chuck Alignment, eliminates alignment port for simplified sharpening process
V-Block jaws eliminate jaw twisting on small bits
New ergonomic low profile design for increased stability and less tool walking.
New permanent magnet motor produces consistent power, regardless of speed or load.
Sharpens 3/32" to 1/2" drill bits
Sharpens to a 118 degree point angle
Sharpens High-speed Steel, Carbide, TiN-coated and Masonry bits
User-Replaceable diamond sharpening wheel accessory available.

Last edited:
Used mine today and yesterday. Its just like the one you posted. Awesome product. Remember if you have no brain its not going to work for you. Take time and read the instructions and it will last for years and like joop said it will save you LOOT on bits.

I just wish I wasnt so cheap or I would buy the DrillDoctor for bits larger than 1/2 inch.

Good thread and product.

I agree those things are awsome! I usually use a bench grinder to rough in the edge on broken bits though. When I worked at Pape' we bought a drill doctor and it saved us hundreds of dollars in the first few months.

I've been looking at the bigger one... I do bad things to bits.. I've got a box somewhere that I used to throw the rounded or broken ones in...

:Dfirst thing i was taught in apprentice school. how to properly grind a drill bit. but im old and cant see. i have the same model and a can of broken bits. guess i need to get er done.

Ill applaud this tool as well, I've had two models, last one got stolen, ****ers, make shapening a breeze. Like said above read the instructions. For any thing bigger then a half I just use the bench grinder.

The dd750x does up to 3/4 bits and I found them on ebay for $129 and amazon has them for $139 with free shipping.
DRILL DOCTOR MODEL 750X
The DD750X shop model is designed for durability and has the flexibility required to sharpen the largest range of dull or broken bits-including split points and masonry bits. The DD750X also adds increased capacity, sharpening 3/32

i use a drill doctor about every other day at work(small fab shop). very slick little tool, beats the belt sander nine times out of 10. try and figure out which angle your particular drill bit is cut at and stick with it. changing the angle on the bit gets wierd with where the grind tapers back from the cutting edge. getting the drill bit in the right orientation in the holder is key to having an effective cut. also take it easy on the bit to keep it from getting real hot, not like the drill doctor really does but it is a concern for not screwing up the heat treatment.

Replacement diamond wheels run around $20. If you get the 750x buy a 100 grit wheel for your 1/2" and up bits the machine comes with a 180 grit and it takes a lot of turns to sharpen the larger bits with the standard wheel.

Latest posts