• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Drive line ?

throttlejunkie said:
How's your timing, have you checked it to make sure it hasn't moved, that could make it a turd when in higher gear, but less noticeable while in low gear, would also let the cylinder temp increase causing some heat issues. Just a thought.

I have not checked the timing. I think the Ramjets computer keeps the timing in line - I think. I do know the engine makes a funny pinging/rattling noise when in high gear, which sounds like a timing issue also. But when it's in low gear I can mash the pedal and it sounds great.

So when you're rolling along in high range and you let off the gas does it come to a stop fairly quickly as if the brakes are on or something is binding? I'd try putting it on jack stands and turning the tires in 2hi front, 2hi rear, 4hi, etc first

Ain't the Ram Jets designed for you to set the initial timing at 10° then yes the ecm takes over. ? If its spark knocking bad its worth a look into, the knock sensors handle that input back to ecm correct? Then should be adjusted accordingly, just thinking out loud. Maybe its worth looking to see if your initial timing is still 10°

Well I checked the tranny fluid level again and it was over the full mark a good bit so I drained about a quart and half out and now its just under the full mark. Maybe its just my imagination but it seemed to run ok just driving it down the road and back. We'll see how it acts on the trail tomorrow.

Just for the record, I did check the fluid before but the jeep must not have been level or I'm just blind lol.

Trailabite said:
Well I checked the tranny fluid level again and it was over the full mark a good bit so I drained about a quart and half out and now its just under the full mark. Maybe its just my imagination but it seemed to run ok just driving it down the road and back. We'll see how it acts on the trail tomorrow.

Just for the record, I did check the fluid before but the jeep must not have been level or I'm just blind lol.

Was the Jeep running when you checked it both times?

I still have a problem. I was able to run in 4 hi on some of the rails and had no issues, but when we were leaving at the end of the day the tranny seemed to bog down and then the engine started to over heat. I also drive down the highway to get back to my trailer and it ran fine. It just doesn't like the 20 to 30 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still picking at this! I'm trying to prove everything out before replacing the stall converter.

I have checked the timing, its good. I went through and checked out my exhaust to make sure it didn't get crushed or pinched somewhere, it all looks good. I'm not running a cat so no worry's there.

My last idea - I have a B&M ratchet shifter that I can't stand, but its already there. I have noticed a few time that it had an issue getting into park, would it be possible that when I shift into high that the tranny might actually be between 2nd and 3rd gear? Or may maybe its not going into 3rd gear all the way?

Re:

You may check to see if the modulator valve is hooked up if you think it may not be shifting into 3rd. It will be on the passenger side rear of the Trans and should have a good vacuum line hooked to it. If I'm not mistaken on a th350 if you unhook the modulator it will not make the 2-3 shift on its own

Trailabite said:
I have a manual valve body so the modulator valve is blocked off.

Is your shifter adjusted right? It could be hung between 1st/2nd and causing it.

Trailabite said:
I need to check it. I'm actually thinking about switching to different shifter.

Just unhook your shifter and move it all the way to 1 and see what happens.