• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Driveshaft info for dipshit !! Oh the sweet sound, Ya gotta try this out.

kushKrawlin

I have a question about you joints and driveshafts. Never experienced what I experience today.. I'll drive my **** through the neighborhood, never any faster than 40 miles an hour, not very long drives just a couple miles maybe at the most... Lately I have been feeling what felt like a flat spot on tire. Today I start feeling the bump bump bump.. And then that's when the sound of music happened .. I honestly felt like.. Well it's hard to explain unless you have had it happen.. But the rear driveshaft came loose.. Knocking the **** outta the bottom of my ****. My first thought was front end.. But I still have this really large sweet hole in the floorboard, so I could see my driveshaft was still intact. As I came to a quick stop.. I've been started thinking, "**** my motor actually fell out". I never expected it to be the rear driveshaft, I mean why would it for what that Fukin thing cost. (Good one HAD! Never again) I quickly pull over.Get Out and I'll be damned if that super awesome high ANAL driveline drive shaft isnt hangin.. All I could think about was if it did damage to the Atlas/. From the sound it made, you would have thought it did damage to everything and everyone around it. After the shock was gone I noticed The driveshaft was all in one piece hanging from the transfer case. Both caps were missing off the end yoke.. ONE was still in price tightly by the U-bolt.. The other U-bolt was empty.. I got a buddy to take me to my house and I got tools and luckily had a 1410 U joint as a spare. NOT a spider, it was a cheaper neapco.. I had the slip yoke with me, so I took the end caps off of the new you joints that was in the box, just to test fit on the U joint that was missing caps. The one that was missing caps was not scarred or scratched.. So I just put the caps on the U joint that was In the yoke, hauled ass back and laid In a ditch putting the driveshaft back on. After making sure everything was tight and they caps went down in between the ears, Drove it home with no problem. So After doing some reading, Sames there are several things it could have been. I'm wondering even though it's a year or so old, with those few miles it as it has on it, compared to a street driven vehicle, say I did not grease it as much as needed, could this be the reason? Or would it be more like my dumbass not making sure it was sat down in between the ears on the yoke good ? And why just now? There have been several off road trips and several hot laps around the neighborhood. I would think if it was something loose it would have already come off. Hell I always think I have over tightening them. I don't know. But that Seems like a very good way to **** **** up!! And this cannot happen again. What do Yall think? It's just hard for me to believe that it did not see properly. But anything is possible with strong enough marijuana. :smoke:
Seriously.. Any advice is much appreciated!! I guess the moral of this is.. Check your joints!! Ha

Man! You need to lay off the Kush one night and do some work on that bitch! Last 3 rides you been on, it has give problems! Get it rite you OCD bastard!

zukimaster said:
Man! You need to lay off the Kush one night and do some work on that bitch! Last 3 rides you been on, it has give problems! Get it rite you OCD bastard! Dam that pisses me off! :flipoff1:

Re:

What a wall of text. You can over tighten the u bolts and start crushing the needle bearings. How often do you check to make sure all of your bolts are tight on the entire rig? If you don't have the time, take a paint pin and mark the bolt/nut with whatever metal it's holding. They don't match, then something has become loose.

Re:

zukimaster said:
Man! You need to lay off the Kush one night and do some work on that bitch! Last 3 rides you been on, it has give problems! Get it rite you OCD bastard!
Mortalis5509 said:
What a wall of text. You can over tighten the u bolts and start crushing the needle bearings. How often do you check to make sure all of your bolts are tight on the entire rig? If you don't have the time, take a paint pin and mark the bolt/nut with whatever metal it's holding. They don't match, then something has become loose.
Ha and U read it... Let's see how often do I check every bolt on the whole entire vehicle.. Ummm , honesty never. Not every single bolt. Although I maintenance my **** more than most. I do know that Ya can crush the caps.. But that wasn't the case. I know I haven't greased it a lot but it doesn't have that many miles on it... I'm thinkin more towards I didn't have the dam thing in between the lil ears good. Un Fukin real. Just can't see me doin that. Well maybe so.

zukimaster said:
Chad not tonite dammit. U was just in a good mood now pissed again. Great. :woot:

I would guess they just got loose over a few rides and finally let go. I had to tighten straps after every trip and finally put red thread lock on it and so far its held up for a few rides.
I used to be like that and thought these rigs was load and go but found out with my last 2 that some need a wrench turning party after a ride or 2.

I put a wrench on every drive line bolt, suspension bolt, hubs, lug nuts, and steering every time before I go wheelin, check all fluids and clean off anything that has leaked.

Knock on wood I've not had a maintenance related failure in many years.

I did have a rear ujoint issue on a bronco I had, the parts store kept giving me the wrong 1330 u joint (ford used 2 different ones that year..) I didn't realize the caps were slightly too small for the yoke and the u bolts pinched the caps so the joint would wear out in about 1000 miles... Took me 2 times to figure it out.

Beerj said:
Hey kush, didn't you just put that rear in not long ago? I seem to remember something about taco shaped rears.
Rear axle, yes. Driveshaft, no. Been there a wile. Fukin gayness.
TJTJ said:
I came over there and loosened it up since you can't text nobody back!
Tj U tard! I told Ur black ass to just come over. U know u ain't gotta call ******. And I'm sure U know where ill be. Same place as always.

I'm bout to make a thread about you if u dont stop being mean. :flipoff1: