• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dual cases vs 4.7 gear

toyotalandman

I have both however i put together at the same time so i haven't had a chance to feel them out seperately.This is for my buddies they want to go with lower gears but can't decide i just wanted to see what you think.

I have both however i put together at the same time so i haven't had a chance to feel them out seperately.This is for my buddies they want to go with lower gears but can't decide i just wanted to see what you think.

depends on what size tires your going to run and what gears in the axels.

Go run a trail in just 4.7, no 2.28. pretend you onlt got one low gear t-case. See what ya'll think

I started w/ single 4.7 t-case. I now have duals.

Why cant you test it out. Front box in low/rear box in 4hi is 2.28:1

Front box in hi/rear box in 4lo is what they are gonna get with just the 4.7's and no dual case. If thats not low enough for them than I'd say dual 2.28:1 would be the way to go. It all depends if they have the $/down time for x-member and drivelines.

Do they have axle gears? Duals and stock axle gears break output shafts.

I have have ran the front in H and the rear in 4.7 and liked it. But i haven't ran two stock cases to see how it matchs up to the 4.7. I know the $ differences it would be werth it if the cases are just as low geared

if it were me I would run the dual cases with the 4.7 you will need the gearing.also I would run the 4.7s in the front case.

The only issue with running the 4.7's in front is you are putting all the reduction in front of the second case which makes the input on that second case suspect as they break quite often with just 2.28's in front of them.

Also chances are the second case will be a stock 21 spline unit which is the weakest of all the inputs.

From personal experience I'd highly recommend 4.7's in the back with a 23 spline input and a twin stick shifter. That shifter allows you to run whatever ratio you want without having to deal with the front end being engaged.

As far as duals or 4.7's the ratio difference is a wash with the duals being about 5:1 but it still gives you the stock 2.28 for hillclimbs, mudholes etc etc.

Forget the math but there's not much of a diference in gear ratios between a single 4.7 and dual 2.28. If I was to do it over again, knowing what I know now I'd've got dual 2.28's first and prolly stay'd that way. But at the time I wasn't able to do all the mods needed to run duals on a highway capable rig so 4.7 was a good route to go.

ok, now, factor in cost.
whats a dual case set-up go for?(including drivelines, and x members.)
and whats a 4.7 set go for?

My bad.:flipoff:

No worries, I wasn't talking shiat just pointing out the error. :D

Cost difference? Figure 4.7's go for about $400 and a dual adapter can be had for around $300 for a chinese unit to just under $400 for a good unit. So that price difference is pretty much a wash in itself. Now factor in the driveline mods as the rear will run ya about $50-75 to get it shortened and the front roughly $150.

Sure duals are more expensive and require mods but look at the number of people that have just a single 4.7 case.... *crickets* yea, there aren't enough of them to worry about... If you start with a single 4.7 you'll end up with a dual adapter in front of it eventually so why not get the "hard" part over with early? :beer:

If the money is there go duals, if not 4.7's in the stock case gets the job done, you just don't have the wheel speed you used to for mud and Hill climbs

If the money is there go duals, if not 4.7's in the stock case gets the job done, you just don't have the wheel speed you used to for mud and Hill climbs

x2:awesomework:

nobody has pointed out that the extra 6 inches of front drive shaft REALLY helps on a toyota. plus 4 to one blows ass in mud, snow, anything except rocks.:beer:

i think it depends on the engine/trans being used too. for me, 4.7's would be NICE. ive got 5.29's, and a friggin C4 trans. my crawl ratio is TERRIBLE. id still have plenty of wheel speed. having the 302 doesnt hurt either:awesomework:

id like to toss in the np435 ive got sitting here...than 4.7's might not be needed.
x2:awesomework:

nobody has pointed out that the extra 6 inches of front drive shaft REALLY helps on a toyota. plus 4 to one blows ass in mud, snow, anything except rocks.:beer:
i agree, the extra length in the front would be nice. but, ive never had an issue with the front shaft being TOO short. just too little travel...:mad:

Latest posts