• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dual tranfer case advice/help needed for Toyota

HotRodJosh

Hey fellas...did a search and unless I'm blind (entirely possible) can't find the info I need.
Here's what I've got. Running an '84 4Runner, but the trans is beginning to pop out of gear, so I picked up an '87 EFI trans and tranfer case to swap in soon.
Can the forward shift '84 T-case be used if I wanted to do a dual case setup at the time of the trans swap???

Thanks!

Thanks....I take it the '84 case is used in the middle as the hi-low box then?
The top shift conversion, pretty straightforward?

No, use the 87 case behind the 87 trans as it has the correct length shift rails for that tailhousing. The 84 case will need to be converted to top shift and put behind the 87 range box.

Hmmm...shift rails? Aren't they internal to the '87 as it's a top shift case?
Thanks for the help so far....I'd like to get all the parts needed for the swap rounded up so it can be done over a weekend.

Last edited:
Mine work great with 2 top shift cases. You can use the forward shifting case for your front 4low box, but not the rear case. It's a pretty easy straight forward task to build the cases. Hard to get it wrong. Get a dual case cross member 1st thing too.

Mine work great with 2 top shift cases. You can use the forward shifting case for your front 4low box, but not the rear case. It's a pretty easy straight forward task to build the cases. Hard to get it wrong. Get a dual case cross member 1st thing too.

whats up Darby give me a jingle so we can go wheel